PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at carving

tony_A
23rd November 2017, 07:27 PM
Drawing inspiration from a one of Hughie's pieces I wanted to try a carved rimmed platter. This is trial of concept using a piece of macrocarpa pine, chosen because it is ok to carve and I have a few boards lying around. Having spent a fair bit of time turning, carving and sanding I've looked at it that many times that I am not sure if I like it or not. I would appreciate some second opinions, is it a dog bowl of something better.
Piece is 300mm diam finished with poly light sand with 1500, rubbed with 0000 then polished/waxed with eee

C&C appreciated

Tony

smiife
23rd November 2017, 07:36 PM
Hi tony, wow....! You have been a busy boy .......
Good job on the carving , my only comment would be
to frame the carving somehow, maybe a line or some colour !
Just my 2 bob, s worth..........hope this helps ...:U

cava
23rd November 2017, 07:50 PM
Definitely something better than a dog's bowl. :2tsup:

tony_A
23rd November 2017, 08:43 PM
Thanks Cava and Smiife, appreciate the comments. I agree Smiife that as a concept it's not there yet. Framing is worth some more thought, and maybe reducing the number of flutes to make it a little less busy. I can normally tell within two seconds if I like something and the fact that I am having to ask others on this one probably tells me something.

Tony

Fumbler
24th November 2017, 01:09 AM
Yeah, maybe you should stick to straight turning, that way the rest of us might have a chance at turning something of equal par.hehehe... In all seriousness though, that's a great looking bowl.

to comment, I don't think reducing the number of flutes would matter, I think it looks fine Just.

dogcatcher
24th November 2017, 05:10 AM
I like it as it is. The frame idea would also work. I have gotten lazy in my old age, I would have done the flutes wider and shallower, that would cut down on the time invested.

artme
24th November 2017, 09:00 AM
Well done Tony!!:clap::clap::clap:

I would keep an eye on that crack as it may well spread.