PDA

View Full Version : How much claret do you spill?

Waldo
26th September 2005, 07:29 PM
G'day,

Well I was down in the shed today busy knocking up a dust chute from metal sheeting for my jointer and once again managed to loose some blood - it's an almost daily occurance.

So there's now a bit of blood on the dust chute and a bit here and there on my bench. It's nothing unusual I guess. So I thought I'd put up a poll to see what you lot loose.

doug the slug
26th September 2005, 09:12 PM
So I thought I'd put up a poll to see what you lot loose.

i rarely lose a drop, maybe im over-cautious. but i do have a few beers in the workshop when its getting close to the end of a session, when im just cleaning up and finishing a few things off. occasional sawcut or router work after a couple of beers if needed to finish something, but certainly no high risk work

knucklehead
26th September 2005, 09:59 PM
I was at work today and felt something in my arm. Closer inpection revealed a 20mm long cherry splitter. I was working with the cherry on Saturday (now monday). Hardly even notice anymore.

A couple of weeks before that I was drilling through a wall to get a cable into the house. The studs are 50 year old hardwood, so the going was pretty tough. Once the hole was through I carlessly dropped the drill on the floor only to back into it and poke a very hot drill bit into my calf. The scar looks alot like a bullet wound.
By far the worst bit was that my wife saw the whole thing.

Caliban
26th September 2005, 10:17 PM
I often spray claret, or merlot, or shiraz over the keyboard when reading these threads.
Oh, you meant blood.
Only when I stray from the true faith and dabble with the demon, steel. then it's on for young and old.

journeyman Mick
27th September 2005, 01:11 AM
Hardly ever spill a drop, it's too valuable and you lose too much time and money. In sixteen years I've needed stitches once (three of) and probably lost about half a cup of blood in total. Mind you I've had to give first aid to some pretty horrific injuries, it's amazing how much of the red stuff people contain (and seem to be able to splash around without quite dying :eek: )

Mick

Ashore
27th September 2005, 01:55 AM
Not much
I thought I spilt some yesterday but it evaporated before I could be sure

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Russell

Termite
27th September 2005, 09:27 AM
61 and cursed with tissue paper skin on the back of my hands, I've only got to bump something to make the claret flow. :(

Clinton1
27th September 2005, 11:28 AM
Way too much. I am "accident prone", despite all care. For example, I had a little bit of a vivid dream Thursday night, the resulting gash needed 4 stiches. If that is my form when alseep, perhaps you might understand my reluctance to bring electron burners into my work.

What I hate is nailing in difficult spots and hitting my thumb in the same spot over and over. Maybe I'm just thick. ???? :D

Caliban
27th September 2005, 11:35 AM
Way too much. I am "accident prone", despite all care. For example, I had a little bit of a vivid dream Thursday night, the resulting gash needed 4 stiches. If that is my form when alseep, perhaps you might understand my reluctance to bring electron burners into my work.

What I hate is nailing in difficult spots and hitting my thumb in the same spot over and over. Maybe I'm just thick. ???? :D
Couldn't you change hands :D

Clinton1
27th September 2005, 12:03 PM
Probably start hitting my head then

Sturdee
27th September 2005, 05:15 PM

How about holding the nail with a long nosed plier untill it has started or do like I do and use a nailgun. :D

Peter.

Clinton1
27th September 2005, 06:56 PM
Yes Peter, that would be using common sense. Sometimes Common sense deserts me. (or maybe it sees pain coming and just quietly sets me up for a fall???)

Trouble is that it happens at the renno stage of "stuff it, lets get her finished, full speed ahead and bodge it up later." Hit, oww, hit, hit, hit, oww....

Anyway, I have caused a hijack the thread. Sorry :)

I think there needs to be a "lots, 'cause I'm stoopid" option in the poll for me.

oges
27th September 2005, 07:51 PM
Pretty hard to injure yourself on a scrollsaw unless you put a heavy blade in and stick your finger straight on it.

Could be a different story when I dabble in 'proper' woodworking again soon, but hopefully all will go ok.

outback
27th September 2005, 08:08 PM
How about holding the nail with a long nosed plier untill it has started or do like I do and use a nailgun. :D

Peter.

No bloody fear, They are positively dangerous. I've only used one once, absolutley made a mess of my fingers. Hanging on to the nail to start it off, pull the trigger, and POW! :D

Termite
28th September 2005, 09:52 AM
No bloody fear, They are positively dangerous. I've only used one once, absolutley made a mess of my fingers. Hanging on to the nail to start it off, pull the trigger, and POW! :D
Just like many years ago when I was an active chippy and I bought an electric plane for trimming the edges of doors. Being used to a hand plane and curling my fingers under the sole to guide it you can imagine the scars on the fingers of my left hand that I still have to this day. :o :o

Clinton1
28th September 2005, 11:21 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Termite, you just made me feel sick.
Why isnt there a vomit smilie? Thats how I feel now.

Cheers...
Clinton

Termite
28th September 2005, 11:42 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Termite, you just made me feel sick.
Why isnt there a vomit smilie? Thats how I feel now.

Cheers...
Clinton
There is, store this page for future use compliments of Niel.
http://www.ubeaut.biz/smiles.htm

Ivan in Oz
28th September 2005, 11:46 AM
Couldn't you change hands :D

Isn't that only after 99 :rolleyes: :confused:

DavidG
28th September 2005, 05:47 PM
Termite
http://www.ubeaut.biz/throwup.gif

oges
28th September 2005, 07:04 PM
Just like many years ago when I was an active chippy and I bought an electric plane for trimming the edges of doors. Being used to a hand plane and curling my fingers under the sole to guide it you can imagine the scars on the fingers of my left hand that I still have to this day. :o :o
Sounds like my dad years ago who used an electric plane to trim a small piece of timber while he held it in his fingers .. needed a skin graft on the end of two fingers.

Iain
29th September 2005, 09:31 PM
Aaahh, you mean cheap replaceable blood, I thought you meant real red :D :D
In my case never, unless my french polishing rubber developes a sharp edge :rolleyes: