PDA

View Full Version : Year 9 student needs help

Neil
27th September 2005, 09:25 AM
Received this in an email this morning, I think it's from Basil (didn't bother to give his name). Don't have time to answer, still looking for factory floor after big move.

Cheers - Neil :)

I am a year 9 student doing a project on wood lathe and woodturning.
Questions I have not been able to find answers to are:

Name the 6 main steps that are used for preparing timber before it can be turned? :confused:

and

What are the 7 safety precautions that you need to be aware of and following when using the wood lathe? :confused:

I would really appreciate any help with these. :)

biotechy2k
27th September 2005, 10:14 AM
1. Obtain permission from your instructor (in your case your wood work teacher)
2. Check Your Clothing
roll up sleeves, if you wear a tie tuck into your shirt or idealy you should wear a good sturdy pair of work overalls, not too loose but comfortable and have enough give for movement, I use a leather apron securly fitted (but then again I am a mum LOL)
Wear and eye sheild or good safty goggles
If you have long hair have it tied back or if long enough put in a plat or tuck under a work cap
3. Rmove any scraps from around the machine, especially from the floor slippery floors are dangerous,
4. Check Lathe
Make sure the switch is off (remove plug from wall socket) check leads, plugs, etc.
Adjust belt to slowest speed- (smallest pulley on motor). Your teacher should increase the speed if necessary. Use slow sped for roughing off corners of your square stock.
Check your guards are in position and securee.
Look and see if the drive rod used for removing spur cntre is removed from headstock.
Check Stock
This should be free from splits and any weak areas or knots
Check built-up stock and reject if any joints are open or badly glued
Face plate stock shoudl have corners removed or cut to a circle
If glued to a backing disc. check the glued joint
Screws through face plate should be tight but not over tight
Mounting the Job
Screw face plate on tighly by hand and make sure its tight
Drive spur centre into saw cuts with a mallet
see that the tailstock is secured corectly and firmly in position
wax or grease dead centre end of wood. Screw tailstock centre tighly into job then back off half a turn. Tigten tailstock spindle clamp lever.
When setting up tool rest
Check tool rest to see that it is smooth on top
adjust your tool rest close to work within 3mm and to the correct ehight and check that the tool rest bracket is secured correctly and firmly
Turn the work by Hand to see that it rovolves clear of the tool rest.
Choose the Lathe Tools to be used
see that the tools are correctly sharpened and in good conditon
Make sure you know how to use them ask teacher if nec.
Ask your Teacher to check the lathe set up
when switching on and Using your Lathe
Make sure any body observing your work is clear of the lathe and not in line with the work and wearing the correct safty equipment and clothes.
Stand to one side when switch on
While working give it your FULL ATTENTION to the job
Adjust tool rest close to the jo as wood is removed, switch off to adjust
DON"T LEAN OVER THE REEVOLVING WORKING PIECE
Always switch off the lathe never leave it running while seaarching for tools or move the tool rest closer to the work e.g. after removing corners
must be switched off to make any adjusstments no matter how minor or quick or to check job sized.
but some lathes the number of rpm can be changed while the lathe is running

NEVER ATTEMPT TO STOP JOB BE GRABING WITH HAND

Sanding and polishing
Remove the tool rest and bracket and adjust the lathe to run at a slow speed.
Sand with small squares of paper large peices may catch and wrap around moving work. Poiiint fingers and paper so that they trail in direction of rotation
Use a small pad or rubber to apply wax or oil or polish, make sure there are no loose ends thaat may catch on the job, hold cloth under the work, and don't use cotton waste,
Finally swithc off remove plug if any replace all fitting and tools int heir correct places and clean down the late
and REMEMBER BE AWARE AND SAFE AT ALL TIMES
Hope that Helps Somewhat
CHeers Biotechy2k

rsser
28th September 2005, 12:16 PM
Sounds like you just wrote his assignment for him Biotechy.

Zed
28th September 2005, 12:37 PM
maybe not rsser, he still has to translate it into portugese!

biotechy2k
28th September 2005, 06:34 PM
Sounds like you just wrote his assignment for him Biotechy.

oops I'm so used to answering my sons bloody homework questions now if I could teach the little sod to type he could do it himself LOL
Cheers Biotecy2k

La truciolara
29th September 2005, 06:52 AM
Neil
After the exhaustive answer given by biotechy2k the least you ow him is to tell us which vote you will get.
Anxious to know
Tell us soon.

Neil
29th September 2005, 06:03 PM
What vote? Are we voting on this? Hell, no one told me we had to vote..... bugger!

My response to the question would have been: Put the wood in, turn the lathe on and go for it. But then that would have been very tongue in cheek and might have got the lad a fail mark.

Had 12 lathes at one stage - down to 1 1/2 now not including the 2 treadle ones. All I can say to Biotechy2k's answer is: "Phew" That's one detailed answer.

Not sure that the lad knows the answer to his first question yet. "Name the 6 main steps that are used for preparing timber before it can be turned?" I've seen the way some idiots teach turning in schools and I bet one of the (so called) correct answers is to plane off all the edges from square timber (making it octagonal) before putting it in the lathe. That's what the used to make you do when I went to school. :rolleyes:

But he sure got his fair share of the second question. "What are the 7 safety precautions that you need to be aware of and following when using the wood lathe?" All he has to do is find the 7 that the teacher will reckon ar the right ones according to him.

:confused: So, what are we voting on? Who said we have to vote? what does the winner get? Could I be the winner? Am I getting voted for? Help, my head's gunna splode! :eek:

ozwinner
29th September 2005, 07:23 PM
what does the winner get?

Could be a piccy of me , In foil, :eek: if ya play ya cards right.

Al :D

Gumby
29th September 2005, 07:25 PM
Could be a piccy of me , In foil, :eek: if ya play ya cards right.

Al :D

I wouldn't show that to a year 9 student :D

ozwinner
29th September 2005, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't show that to a year 9 student :D

Hey the kid has the intenet, theres nothing I can show em that they havent already seen.

Al :rolleyes:

outback
29th September 2005, 08:06 PM
Hey the kid has the intenet, theres nothing I can show em that they havent already seen.

I dunno Al. :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Gumby
29th September 2005, 10:22 PM

Al, mate, there's internet , and then there's internet . But i've seen the photo (*shudder*) . There are some things that just aren't fit for the human eye to see and the brain to comprehend :D

gatiep
9th October 2005, 05:41 PM
Some Safety Pointers in Woodturning

I regard safety as one of the most important topics in woodturning. I quote some points from a book entitled “Woodturning” published in 1949, selling for 3/6. Some views are my own which I have added BUT the list is in no way complete. It is each woodturner’s responsibility to think safety all the time and to take all possible precautions.

Possibly the best advice is: Always think first then act!

Some Safety First don’ts:

Don’t wear a tie or loose cuffs. Keep sleeves rolled up and do not wear loose clothes.

Don’t work without eye protection. I prefer a full-face mask, followed by safety glasses.

Don’t sand timber without some sort of dust protection. A full face respirator like the Airshield, Racal or Triton will not only protect your lungs but also your eyes, face and head.

Don’t start the lathe before checking that tool rests and tailstocks are securely locked. Also check that the wood is secure and spin the wood by hand to make sure that the wood is not catching on the tool rest. Spin the wood by hand after every tool rest adjustment.

Don’t use wood that is split, cracked or have foreign objects embedded in it.

Don’t adjust the tool rest whilst the lathe is running!

Don’t use blunt tools. These only tear the wood, waste time and are dangerous

Don’t work with a large amount of dust and shavings on the floor. This can make the floor very slippery. Keep your work area clean.

Don’t use the lathe bed to hammer things on. Use a work bench or anvil instead.

Don’t hammer the work onto the spur centre while in the spindle. This will damage the headstock bearings.

Don’t leave the lathe dirty after use. Dust it off, clean of shavings and wipe it with a slightly oily rag. I prefer to use Inox as it dries to a clear non-sticky film, which does not attract dust but protects the lathe.

Don’t fail to clean, check and lubricate all bearings and threads to keep the lathe working smoothly. ( Bearings as in lathes with bushess)

Don’t forget to check that the lathe speed is correct for the work you are going to do. Large pieces of wood need slower speeds. Rather start off too slow than too fast.

Don’t forget to stand aside when first switching on the lathe.

Don’t forget to check that the work is held securely every so often

Don’t forget to wear protective clothing. A turning smock makes turning much more pleasant. No shavings down your neck or in your pockets.

Don’t forget to install an emergency “off” switch if your lathe switch is not easily accessible.

Don’t work on your lathe if you have taken drugs, alcohol, cough mixtures or if you are not feeling well or are tired.

Don’t leave your lathe running unattended. Switch off even if you are just fetching something from the workbench.

Don’t allow children to play in your workshop

DO:
Concentrate on what you are doing!

The above are not meant as a complete list but are some points to consider.

Safety is each person’s responsibility.

Safe turning!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><o:lock aspectratio=</o:lock><?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style=" 164.25pt; 243pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="Foolproof" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Hi/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2005, 12:55 AM
What gets me is he asks about 6 steps in preparing wood dor turning.

Half of the time I only use three...

Source the wood. (Buy, grow, whatever)
Cut the wood.
Mount it on the lathe.
Hmmm... there is the odd occasion I'll include "dry the wood" in there somewhere but I still only come up with 4 steps at most. What'm I missing? SWMBO suggested checking for cracks, flaws, loose pieces, etc. but if that's the case the wood doesn't get to meet Mr. Lathe at all so IMHO that is not a step in preparing it for turning, rather it's a step in deciding it's best suited for something else!

She also suggested squaring the ends but IMHO anyone with half a brain does that, and rough balancing, when they're cutting it anyway. :rolleyes:

So, again I ask: what am I missing? :confused: