PDA

View Full Version : First bowl / Timber ID?

dubrosa22
1st January 2018, 08:33 AM
I'm new to woodworking and my turning consists entirely of musical flutes and the odd file/chisel handles.
My wife asked if I could turn a largish bowl so I chucked on a scrap blank a made my first bowl to get an idea of it.

Turning with the endgrain was an interesting new challenge, and meant that the split that revealed itself too late in the project was bloody annoying. But epoxy glue for strength during the final sanding and Carnuba wax filled the voids okay enough for a dodgy coin change recepticle! :rolleyes:

Question is what timber is this? I found it as a 850mm round dumped by the side of the road about a year ago and I roughly backsawed it into chunky blanks. I assumed it was Jacaranda but I'm not so sure now...
It has a wide, soft figure-8 grain pattern and nice checkered highlights (hard to photograph).
Very pinkish colour when planed/turned (see last pic)

Just what have I got here?

Cheers (and Happy New Year!)
Vaughan

brendan stemp
1st January 2018, 09:39 AM
Nice job on your first bowl. The timber is Silky Oak, Grevillia Robusta. It is a very nice turning timber if you aren't allergic to it (I am) and has a waxy feel when machined. This is why it was once a favoured timber for the side of drawers.

artme
1st January 2018, 10:29 AM
Nice looking bowl! That is a very pleasing shape and I am sure you will do slight variations on that style as you go.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

As Brendan said the timber is sily oak ( grevillia robusta ). but there is another species of tree from Queensland referred to
as norther silky oak and that is Cardwellia subliminus. Much the same grain patter although broader and all samples I have
worked are a darker shade of pink towards brownish tones.

orraloon
1st January 2018, 11:42 AM
Nice shape for a first bowl. You avoided the temptation to create something entirely new and end up with a dog bowl like most do first time. Me included. I agree on the silky oak.
Regards
John

dubrosa22
1st January 2018, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and the speedy identification guys. I really appreciate it :U

Silky Oak is very pretty but I thought it was a very fussy turning wood myself. Very soft and fluffy at times (or this stuff is anyway).
Now I've finally used some of it and seen its prettiness I will treat the remaining blanks with a bit more respect and think of some nice ways to use it.

I certainly enjoyed turning this bowl though, and I'm quite happy with its simple form. Next up will be a wider, shallower bowl/dish from a hardwood unknown to me or its seller.

Cheers
Vaughan

artful bodger
1st January 2018, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and the speedy identification guys. I really appreciate it :U

Silky Oak is very pretty but I thought it was a very fussy turning wood myself. Very soft and fluffy at times (or this stuff is anyway).
Now I've finally used some of it and seen its prettiness I will treat the remaining blanks with a bit more respect and think of some nice ways to use it.

I certainly enjoyed turning this bowl though, and I'm quite happy with its simple form. Next up will be a wider, shallower bowl/dish from a hardwood unknown to me or its seller.

Cheers
Vaughan

I was thinking either silky oak or a type of Banksia when reading your post. I have certainly seen Banksia with grain like that and reckon it would be softer than silky oak.
Congrats on your first bowl.