PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sorby Tool Rest

woodtryer
11th January 2018, 10:18 PM
Has anyone used the Sorby modular tool system? The one that has the different tool rests you screw onto the tool post. I have tried it and it just doesn’t feel right to me, the round steel rod rest seems to make it feel like I have too much gouge overhanging. Maybe it’s just me. I’d be interested in others opinions.

Thanks,

Peter

Gabriel
11th January 2018, 10:31 PM
I'm of exactly the same opinion - the round bar means your already protruding your tool over the contact point before you have a chance of touching your workpiece..... It now sits in a drawer with a few other bits I thought world be useful but aren't

Peter Z
12th January 2018, 04:37 PM
Gabriel, I too have a few of these wonder tools sitting in a draw, was a good idea at the time.

Peter

artful bodger
12th January 2018, 06:50 PM
Pictures of the item would be grand.

Mobyturns
12th January 2018, 11:03 PM
I use the Sorby modular box platform and post, it works well for my purpose. One aspect that I don't like with the Sorby modular tool post / rest system is that the rest can actually vibrate loose and move into the work piece.

Dalboy
13th January 2018, 12:35 AM
I use this system and find the overhang to be so minor that it does not effect the tool use. The other advantage is that no matter at what angle you rest the tool it has a nice smooth surface to run on. If you keep an eye on the rest and check at intervals the amount of times it comes loose is drastically reduced I tend to find it is really more of a problem when rough turning. I also check the screw that hold the post as well which I would do even for the rest that came with my machine

Mobyturns
13th January 2018, 09:30 AM
I use this system and find the overhang to be so minor that it does not effect the tool use. The other advantage is that no matter at what angle you rest the tool it has a nice smooth surface to run on. If you keep an eye on the rest and check at intervals the amount of times it comes loose is drastically reduced I tend to find it is really more of a problem when rough turning. I also check the screw that hold the post as well which I would do even for the rest that came with my machine

Any interrupted cut will loosen the tool rest. I'll stick with my original Woodfast tool rests. Tool rest safety, design & comfort is important and quite variable depending upon the turning application. A good bowl tool rest is not much use for spindle turning, nor are the round steel fabricated tool rests imo.

smiife
13th January 2018, 07:14 PM
I have a RS tool rest , only the small one 6" I think
I only use it for spindle turning ,which i find is great
nice and smooth on the top which is what you want
No complaints at all, I don, t use it for bowls or curved pieces
Which could be problematic , not being able to get close enough
If any one wants to get rid of there, s let me know, happy to pay
Postage ......:roll:

hughie
13th January 2018, 08:51 PM
For me, all mine are DIY and welded construction some square and a few round, to date I havent had any issues with the round although they 25mm dia.

woodtryer
16th January 2018, 06:15 PM
I guess we all have our likes and dislikes with tools rests as we do with everything in life. I was just interested to see if anyone else found the Sorby rest a bit "uncomfortable" as I do. For me the Vicmarc is by far the best one I have used. I have just recently tried the Nova rest and I'm still not sure if it's a bit "light weight" but I'll keep playing with it and see.
Thanks for all the feedback,

Peter