PDA

View Full Version : Ellsworth sharpening jigs

ronboult
14th January 2018, 02:12 PM
I placed a request in the wanted section asking to borrow or buy an Ellsworth gouge Sharpening jig. I would like to compare the older square and the newer round jigs against my new Hannes Jig. Unfortunately I have received no response.
Is there no one out there that would lend (or sell) me an Ellsworth jig for a short period, Will take extra good care and pay postage both ways
Thanks
Ron
Brisbane Au

NeilS
23rd January 2018, 10:04 AM
I placed a request in the wanted section asking to borrow or buy an Ellsworth gouge Sharpening jig. I would like to compare the older square and the newer round jigs against my new Hannes Jig. Unfortunately I have received no response.
Is there no one out there that would lend (or sell) me an Ellsworth jig for a short period, Will take extra good care and pay postage both ways
Thanks
Ron
Brisbane Au

In terms of the result, you will get the same with the Ellsworth design. See Bill Boehner's posting in the following thread for a similar opinion.

Hannes Vector Jig? | American Association of Woodturners (http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/hannes-vector-jig.12460/)

Round or square holder will make no difference to the results.

If you are not convinced, just make your own Ellsworth design tool holder. There are many examples out there on the web. Made out of wood is the easiest for most woodies, but the following has instructions for making one out of metal.

Sharpening Jig for Woodturning Gouges: 7 Steps (with Pictures) (http://www.instructables.com/id/Sharpening-Jig-for-Woodturning-Gouges/)

If you are not getting the grind you want from your jig, borrow a gouge that has the grind you like and adjust the jig to match it.

One of these days someone is going to produce a set of profiles in plastic or aluminium for this purpose. Until then, borrowing a gouge with the desired grind is the fastest way to get your jig set up to give you the grind your after. Then mark it.

It wasn't until I purchased my first Ellsworth Sig gouge and set my jig to the grind that came on that, that I started to get the grind that I now prefer.

I may be stating the bleeding obvious for the experienced turners on the forum, but it is worth saying that the flute profile is the main factor in choosing a grind profile to match. So, make sure that you have the same flute profile on your gouge to the one on the template gouge you are going to use to set up your jig. There will be quite a difference for U and V (parabolic) flutes using the same jig settings. Mix the two up and you may be disappointed/confused with the results.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk