PDA

View Full Version : Riveted

Dalboy
26th January 2018, 04:33 AM
1st thing from the shed this year.

This is the second attempt at decorating with the airbrush and having brought my new one which is a better quality I needed something to have a good go at.

Anyway this is my attempt at Industrial piece do you think I should follow through with this theme.

The bowl I believe is Maple of Sycamore, sealed with sander sealer before airbrushing the Pattern and finally a couple of coats of Acrylic Satin Lacquer

crowie
26th January 2018, 09:14 AM
Looks like your are mastering the new toy very well Derek...top job sir, cheers, Peter

Dalboy
26th January 2018, 10:25 AM
Thank you Peter after the bad week or so it is good to be able to get some shed time. This and two other pieces one which I did start right at the end of last year are now being worked on or finished as is the case of this one.
I am trying to get ahead of my turning for the club as well as sorting out a talk to club members as I have been asked to do a talk on either pen turning or decorating turned items.
The new toy is great and much better quality than the two airbrushes that I got with the compressor.

artme
26th January 2018, 10:32 AM
Terrific!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
26th January 2018, 12:16 PM
This is going to be hard to write as I am sort of torn in two minds when I look at this piece. I like the idea of what you have created which I hope will not distract from what I am now going to say. I think this is too symmetrical I think the bowl needs to be offset or the painting needs to be offset.

I will give you an example of what I am think.

You rough cut a steel plate and stick it on the lathe but it was never evenly cut, meaning your lines even thou are straight the piece was never centered and so the bowl was made from a recycled product. Hopefully this is not too far fetched of an idea. :rolleyes:

smiife
26th January 2018, 07:55 PM
This is going to be hard to write as I am sort of torn in two minds when I look at this piece. I like the idea of what you have created which I hope will not distract from what I am now going to say. I think this is too symmetrical I think the bowl needs to be offset or the painting needs to be offset.

I will give you an example of what I am think.

You rough cut a steel plate and stick it on the lathe but it was never evenly cut, meaning your lines even thou are straight the piece was never centered and so the bowl was made from a recycled product. Hopefully this is not too far fetched of an idea. :rolleyes:

Hi dalboy, firstly I like what you have done ...very cleverly painted and planned
Not quite sure what christo Is trying to say :doh:
Maybe a more detailed explaination .......
Nice shape and finish well done mate , looks great :2tsup:

Dalboy
27th January 2018, 12:46 AM
Thank you for all of the input. I spent an evening with some double circles on paper the same as the area that is painted on the piece and went through many design and they just did not look right and with the rivets I had to keep it simple as they would make the piece look very cluttered.

Christos
27th January 2018, 07:34 AM
....Not quite sure what christo Is trying to say :doh:
Maybe a more detailed explaination .......

Let me try to explain my thinking this from a different approach.

We can pick this up from after the initial rounding and shaping of the bottom. Where the piece is mounted in the lathe and the top of the piece is flattened. Take if off the lathe either leaving it in the chuck or removing it from the chuck. You paint your design similar to what you have created but instead of having the plate image in the center of the piece you have the image favouring one side. You place your piece back on the lathe and turn out the bowl. What you are left with is the image that is offset and the bowl is centered.

The other thing that I mention is to keep the image centered but the bowl offset. This requires a different approach where you would work on the top surface first. After rounding the blank and flattening this surface you would then take it off the lathe and paint your image. This is where you would attach a glue block to the piece that is off center. Once this has dried you put the piece back on the lathe and create the bowl to the point of a finish piece. Now we turn the piece around and mount the piece via the outer rim of the bowl. Turn away your glue block and finish the bottom of the bowl.

I hope this is a better explaination?

Willy Nelson
27th January 2018, 10:59 PM
I LIKE IT!!!!!

I am quite often set in my ways and wonder why I don't explore more. I know what sells of mine and am possibly loathe to waste an item.
I reckon it looks brilliant and you should do more
Willy
Jarrahland

Dalboy
28th January 2018, 01:54 AM
Thank you Willy.
When I first started to cut out. texture and colour pieces I thought the same as you. I started by using the plainer looking woods as well as decorate on the lathe with the tenon still on so that if it does look wrong a quick skim and back to fresh wood if the item allows for this.
It is just a matter of taking those first steps

Keith_1
30th January 2018, 09:20 AM
I really like the industrial effect Derek. I think you know that I like rivets in my builds:U

Did you use real rivets or cut off nail heads ?

Anyway - it looks spot on.

You are really innovative and always produce a top class job

Well done as always

Regards

Keith

chambezio
30th January 2018, 09:47 AM
To me, it makes me "look again", I like it.
Can you go through the process of application of the air brushing? I had a small job that needed some paint so I thought I would use my air brush. I tried to use enamel paint thinned with Turps... did not have anything that you would describe as "success". I filled the Air Brush and found it very daunting to actually press the button. Can you tell us what paints you used?

Dalboy
30th January 2018, 10:26 AM
I really like the industrial effect Derek. I think you know that I like rivets in my builds:U

Did you use real rivets or cut off nail heads ?

Anyway - it looks spot on.

You are really innovative and always produce a top class job

Well done as always

Regards

Keith

Thanl you Keith no rivets were harmed in the making of this bowl:; everything you see is painted on.

To me, it makes me "look again", I like it.
Can you go through the process of application of the air brushing? I had a small job that needed some paint so I thought I would use my air brush. I tried to use enamel paint thinned with Turps... did not have anything that you would describe as "success". I filled the Air Brush and found it very daunting to actually press the button. Can you tell us what paints you used?

The first thing is what type of airbrush do you have as the one I used is a Harder and steenbeck double action gravity fed which does allow for a very controlled use. the paints i used are proper airbrush paints mine are Createx Wicked range.

The airbrush.

I started with a base coat of white then applied blue and black in controlled streaks so it looked like this. Some photo of the process.

Masked up for the solid line and sprayed removed the mask and gave them a light coat of black. Then the rivets are as simple as a hole cut into a piece of cereal carton and black is sprayed through the hole and then white in the upper but due to having the airbrush a little away gives the soft edge through the middle.

Keith_1
30th January 2018, 10:43 AM
Wow

Painted on rivets - really, really impressive:2tsup:

Keith

chambezio
30th January 2018, 12:48 PM
Thanks Derek. I did buy some tubes of water colour paints with the intention of of "having a go" but just haven't got around to it. The weather (40°) has not been co-operative and I also need to find a subject. The air brush I have is an $35 single action gun from our Bunnings. I wanted to just dabble to see what I can do before I lash out and spend more money.
I think I need the confidence to just start
Thanks for the info

smiife
30th January 2018, 07:42 PM
Thanks Derek. I did buy some tubes of water colour paints with the intention of of "having a go" but just haven't got around to it. The weather (40°) has not been co-operative and I also need to find a subject. The air brush I have is an $35 single action gun from our Bunnings. I wanted to just dabble to see what I can do before I lash out and spend more money.
I think I need the confidence to just start
Thanks for the info

Hi rod, as dalboy has said If it doesn, t work out just skim
the surface off and start again.....
As your signature says .....just do it.......

chambezio
30th January 2018, 08:04 PM
Point taken....step out of comfort zone......and do it.
I will let you know how I get on

Dalboy
30th January 2018, 08:26 PM
chambezio don't worry I had paint failures when I started using mine until I brought the right ones to suit the airbrush

These are what I already had before the one in the post above. The black one I brought with the idea of using it on some models years ago but never got around to using it, the blue one was given to me which now has been replaced as it broke and the other two are what came with the compressor. The two in the wooden box I have used for larger area coverage and have sprayed artist acrylic paints after mixing with Liquitex Flow Aid and then filtered and as I did not have anything suitable to filter it a new pair of the wife's tights which have a very fine mesh worked great so now have a load of squares of this material in the spray draw. I have also used these to spray spirit wood stains
The two airbrushes that came with the compressor I used on the blue bowl I did a while ago and now let the great grandson use as he enjoys spraying.
I am a total beginner and realise that I have one heck of a lot to learn when using these.

chambezio
31st January 2018, 10:09 AM
I have come to realise I am a great "copier" of what people do. If I can see an article I can usually duplicate it. Getting artistic things out of my head is something that doesn't come easy. So really, the only thing to do is get set up with some paper and paints and just play around. Thank you gents