PDA

View Full Version : Newbie asking small job turning question..

Malfie
29th September 2005, 01:20 PM
I make novelty model airplanes from aluminium drink cans. I've found that I can make really nice balloon wheels from 9mm & 12 mm MDF cut out with a hole saw. I'm using a 1/2" Bosch variable speed drill and mount the cutouts on a short length of threaded (cut off bolt) rod then shape it out with abrasive boards. I then finish it off with a simple hardened steel tool to make the tire rim. Finished of with finer emery then quick coats of paint at low revs and it comes up very realistic. I now would like to turn up some nose cones and am wondering what type of machine I might be best using to do both.. Someone has suggested a Jewellers Lathe but I'm totally ignorant on lathes of any kind but I'm also wondering whether such a device would have enough surface speed..
Like I said, I'm sapwood when it comes to all this.. I just need to be advised how to proceed or whether to forget about it..

Thanks

RETIRED
29th September 2005, 09:33 PM
Go to Bunnings or other hardware store and buy a "furniture stud". They have a whitworth thread on one end and a screw thread on the other.

Mount the threaded end in the drill, and put the blank (after pre brilling) on the screw end and shape it.

To buy a lathe for just this job is a waste of money.