PDA

View Full Version : WA sheoak from Dusteater - some new pieces

Xanthorrhoeas
19th February 2018, 01:23 PM
I have been getting a chance to turn some of the great WA sheoak blanks that I have bought from fellow-forumite Dusteater so thought that he, and others, might like to see what I did with it.

The first one is a piece of lace sheoak inset into the base of a platter I went too deep into - a 'repair/recovery from error' idea picked up from a fellow woodturner on these forums. I have posted this one before, but it is here for completeness.

The two others I have turned. First while on the lathe ...

Then finished on the outside showing those large medullary raays so characteristic of the plant family ...

My brand on the base ...

And two finished bowls ...

The finish is Shellawax Glow.

I made the first bowl with the 'chunky' thick wall on a whim and have been surprised how many people prefer it to the thinner walled bowl. People like its solidity and mass. The design of these is quite Danish/mid-century modern in style. That isn't my preferred style in furniture or decor but I think the more vertical sides allow the figure to show well in this timber.

woodtryer
19th February 2018, 08:21 PM
Really nice looking work David.

Cheers,

Peter

Gabriel
19th February 2018, 09:55 PM
I would suggest you quickly change the title of the 'error platter' to 'magnificent timber platter' both in timber and craftsmanship....beautiful save

dusteater
19th February 2018, 10:56 PM
Thanks for posting the thread David , it`s heartening to know that the wood from our little bit of forest is made into something that can be admired and cherished by someone.

artme
20th February 2018, 09:03 AM
Good looking piwcwa, like ém a lot!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: