PDA

View Full Version : Yes mi,lady MkII

Dalboy
22nd February 2018, 04:36 AM
I thought I would start a new thread for this one and have included a short W.I.P. to go with it.

I think this one turned out better than the first as the back does not stick out as far as it did with the first one.

First some of the second completed turning. I did notice the two knots which could have been a bit embarrasing if they ended up in the wrong place so I was careful to locate them at the back.

I hope some will find this useful. And if I have missed anything please shout out I am only human

I started this with a piece of Yew branch that was about 10" long and 2 3/4" diameter this is not critical as measurements can be altered to suit yourself.

At each point along the turning I sanded and applied a sealer before moving on to the next section some sections ende up being sanded and sealer applied more than once.

I marked centres at both ends then at one end only drew a line through the centre and made a mark 3/8" either side of the centre along the line

I placed the blank between centres and formed a chucking point, you will notice this has a slight radius to this as to allow for movement when locating the piece on the various marks later on

While it is between centres I turned the skirt and body this is all done with the tailstock on the centre mark

A quick apology here I forgot to take a photo but used the next one to show what I was doing

You can either place the turning in a chuck at this point or leave the headstock drive with what you started with I am using a steb type centre here. Just a note if you are using the chuck this is where the small radius come into play as you will need to loosen the chuck when moving between centres at the tailstock end and then re-tighten.
Moving the tailstock to position one on the end now turn the body again taking it down to the intersection with the skirt being careful not to catch the skirt with your tool. Now sand this part as you will see two lines running along the body which will need to be blended to the first turning.

Now move the tailstock end to position two and turn the top of the breast area and also the neck remember the neck will need to be small enough for the head in the next step. Because you are using various centres you can always come back to this stage when you turn the head later if you find the neck is too thick so better to make it too thick than to thin.

Now return the tailstock to the true centre to turn the head and the start of the domed top. Once this is done again sand and blend the nech into the head

Once you are happy with the head and with the piece in the chuck part off the waste at the top and tidy up the top dome shape of the head. The reason I made this a dome shape is that when the hat is turned it can be positiond at whatever angle suits you.

Finally I cut a small foot to lift the whole thing a little this is optional

The last piece to turn is the hat which I will leave up to you as to size.

At this point I completed the finish before gluing the hat to the body

plt43
22nd February 2018, 05:00 AM
Excellent work, Derek - thanks for the step-by-step and pictures!

Christos
22nd February 2018, 06:08 AM
This is a very good explanation on the process.

chambezio
22nd February 2018, 08:07 AM
Derek you have left us with no option so we will have to give this a go. Your "How To" is excellent, thank you for going to the trouble

crowie
22nd February 2018, 08:30 AM
TOP MARKS on a beaut tutorial Derek.
Thank you for all the extra time and effort to do all the notes with the work in progress photos, very well done sir.
Cheers Peter

PS - Maybe Christos can get it added to the Best of the Best for future readers reference

Dalboy
22nd February 2018, 08:32 AM
You are welcome glad you could understand what I did now I will look forward to seeing all of you making one:whistling2:

artme
22nd February 2018, 07:29 PM
I'll pay that Derek!!! Very clear Tutorial!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Keith_1
25th February 2018, 07:41 AM
Thanks Derek

A very informative post :2tsup:

Regards

Keith

Dalboy
25th February 2018, 08:38 AM
Thank you all this one has now gone to a very happy person he thought it was great but the Uncle's can be like that as they are family.

tony_A
25th February 2018, 09:31 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post the tutorial Derek. Interesting to see what can be done with a bit of ingenuity.

turnerted
25th February 2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks Derek
I saw Theo Haralampou turn one of these some time ago but my notes were not good enough to repeat it .I have no excuse not to try it now .
Ted

Ozkaban
26th February 2018, 02:09 PM
Thank you very much for a lovely idea and a well documented & photographed tutorial. I will certainly enjoy copying your idea, and I imagine my wife and daughters will enjoy it too!

Thanks again,
Dave