PDA

View Full Version : Hammer C3 31

aldav
1st March 2018, 11:38 AM
Might be of interest to some of you WA members who don't mind driving. :D Not sure if the asking price is $1,200, that seems extraordinarily low to me.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/albany/power-tools/hammer-woodworking-machine-/1176551287

jazzy69
1st March 2018, 12:15 PM
That is giving it away at that price.

bueller
1st March 2018, 02:50 PM
God damn. I’m so tempted at that price but Albany is a bit of a trek.

Pat
1st March 2018, 03:58 PM
4 and bit versus 40+ for those on the East coast.

bueller
1st March 2018, 04:06 PM
I’ve slapped some sense into myself. I’ve got helical heads in both my thicknesser and jointer so this would really only be an upgrade over my table saw. A great deal, just a shame it didn’t come up a year ago!

bryn23
1st March 2018, 05:28 PM
thats a great machine for the price, shame the west coast is so far away.

Chris Parks
2nd March 2018, 11:21 AM
I’ve slapped some sense into myself. I’ve got helical heads in both my thicknesser and jointer so this would really only be an upgrade over my table saw. A great deal, just a shame it didn’t come up a year ago!

Use a slider and you will never go back, a cabinet saw just pales by comparison.

bueller
2nd March 2018, 02:00 PM
I can definitely see a slider in my future but it will probably be a stand-alone machine, put too much work into my thicknesser and jointer to bother selling them.

Xanthorrhoeas
2nd March 2018, 04:42 PM
That is a machine with some years on it and most probably does not have a spiral head (though could most likely be retrofitted with the Hammer/Felder version). The new machines are grey, not blue. However, the machine pictured does have the optional mortiser, which, coupled with the spindle moulder they come with (or at least newer ones do) make this a wonderful combination machine for the price. Chris Parks is spot on - a sliding table saw is definitely a very big improvement over a normal cabinet saw. When you couple that with the extra features you WA members should definitely have a good look at it.

BTW, I'm not connected to the seller, but do have a C3-31 myself and absolutely love it (and sometimes wish I had bought the optional mortiser!). The seller on Gumtree is wrong about one thing though - the Hammer machines are made by Felder in Austria, not Germany.

derekcohen
2nd March 2018, 04:49 PM
Note that you cannot retrofit a Hammer with a Felder spiral head. You have to order the machine to the configuration wanted. In some cases, allowance can be made, such as adding a shaper ... if the carcase is built to take it. In regard to a retrofitted spiral head, you would need to go to an aftermarket manufacturer, such as Byrd.

Regards from Perth

Derek