PDA

View Full Version : Sphere Turnings

Pat
1st March 2018, 04:38 PM
I received a Vermec Sphere Jig for my recent birthday. I have turned spheres by hand from 50mm to 150mm diameter in the past and the jig interest me.

I totally bodged the first attempt, I did not have the jam chucks sorted and produced a lemon. No there is no pic, it is almost as ugly as my mug, so in the interest of public safety . . . :;

I got the jam chucks sorted and revisited Guilio and Brendan's vids on the jig, saw where I had made errors and corrected my technique.430758 My second effort, NSW Rosewood, 80mm diameter

Today, I challenged myself to turn a Spherical Turned box. I had this offcut of Red Ash (I think) about the dimensions I wanted to play with, 73mm diameter.430750

I turned how Brendan did and still had some minor issues, but was able to correct them. Tool control to reduce spigots 50+mm over the tool rest is interesting. I got the magic spiral :;430751

Luckily, there was enough meat to remove that and still end up with sphere.430752

I removed the majority of the spigot with a hand saw, then a 12mm skew in scraping mode. 430753

Of course the bottom cracked when some ham fisted oaf rechucked it.:doh: 430754

But I managed to save it . . . 430755 430756 430757

I am happy with the jig.

chambezio
1st March 2018, 05:03 PM
Why are the vids we watch always make the activity look so easy to duplicate????. Pat your perseverance was worth while, it looks good from here. I have thought of making the apparatus but that is as far as I have got....thought. Its still a bit hot to do anything in the shed even with evaporative cooling.

Pat
1st March 2018, 06:14 PM
Rod, as a tool maker, I am good at turning mallets. Anything more complex, then I'll pay for someone's expertise.

aldav
1st March 2018, 06:49 PM
I s'pect it would be very easy to start out with something the size of a bowling ball and end up with a marble. :doh: Glad I'm not a turner!

The box is very attractive. Nice work. :2tsup:

Pat
1st March 2018, 08:02 PM
Dave, have you been watching me turn? :U

I am an eggspert in making big lumps of wood spin into matchsticks :;

Paul39
2nd March 2018, 09:05 AM
Why are the vids we watch always make the activity look so easy to duplicate????.

They do not show the balls that look like misshaped goose eggs, or video the ball sailing majestically into the neither regions of the shed after a massive catch.

chambezio
2nd March 2018, 09:12 AM
It reminds me of that old story about a brother who wanted to make something for another brother's birthday. When unwrapping the parcel a tooth pick was the gift. Then the brother admitted...."Well, I started off making a coffee table but I ran into a bit of trouble then I started to make....well in the end the only material I had left was enough to make this tooth pick"

I think we have all been there if we are honest

NCArcher
2nd March 2018, 10:07 AM
Very nice Pat. The rosewood one looks particularly good.
For inspiration, check out Frank Howarths videos on the 8 ball and the death star.

pommyphil
2nd March 2018, 02:51 PM
Very nice Pat. The rosewood one looks particularly good.
For inspiration, check out Frank Howarths videos on the 8 ball and the death star.

David Springett is also worth a look for the aspiring sphere turner:U https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=david+springett+woodturning+wizardry

Pat
7th March 2018, 08:04 PM
Here is today's offering, Southern Silky Oak. 82mm diameter.431240

dai sensei
7th March 2018, 08:14 PM
Here is today's offering, Southern Silky Oak. 82mm diameter.

well done mate :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2018, 11:20 AM
Looking good, Pat! :2tsup:

So... you started compiling a list of 'mates' who want to borrow it yet? :innocent:

Pat
8th March 2018, 12:23 PM
Looking good, Pat! :2tsup:

So... you started compiling a list of 'mates' who want to borrow it yet? :innocent:

Only if they have a Yellow Peril :q

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2018, 06:49 PM
Lucky me! :D

Pat
8th March 2018, 07:22 PM
Latest in the saga, some ham fisted yokel managed to have a "significant" catch.

Let's just say, after hollowing out with a bowl gouge, I set up the jig to make the final cuts and the stuff up fairy caught up with me.431263

A very late in the day email to Vermec and thanks to Nadine and Enzo for supplying a solution. Off to the post office tomorrow morning.

Lesson learnt, Sydney Blue Gum requires very gentle cuts, you great big yokel!

smiife
8th March 2018, 07:28 PM
Latest in the saga, some ham fisted yokel managed to have a "significant" catch.

Let's just say, after hollowing out with a bowl gouge, I set up the jig to make the final cuts and the stuff up fairy caught up with me.431263

A very late in the day email to Vermec and thanks to Nadine and Enzo for supplying a solution. Off to the post office tomorrow morning.

Lesson learnt, Sydney Blue Gum requires very gentle cuts, you great big yokel!

Hi pat , whoops......... thats a bit of a learning curve,
Can It be fixed ?

Pat
8th March 2018, 08:42 PM
Hi pat , whoops......... thats a bit of a learning curve,
Can It be fixed ?

Enzo thinks he can fix it and I'll go with his judgement.

I can fix a lot of issues with tooling and machinery, but this is a little out of my league.