PDA

View Full Version : embellished bud vase

turnerted
6th March 2018, 05:02 PM
G'day
I had an offcut of blackbutt burl so I had a play embellishing a little vase . I scrapped the loose material from the blood veins with a dental pick and spread 15 minute epoxy mixed with turquise pigmented mica powder over the veins . Next day I turned off the surplus and finished with DO .Next time I think I might clean out the gum veins with a dremel .
Comments welcome .
Ted

smiife
6th March 2018, 07:53 PM
Looking good ted , like the colour you have added , well done :2tsup:

tony_A
6th March 2018, 08:03 PM
That's a really nice little vase Ted. I think the colours work well and actually like the dark colour of the gun vein.
Tony

powderpost
6th March 2018, 09:09 PM
Ted, difficult to come up with an idea with such a small piece of wood. Would you consider coffee grounds and CA in the voids? As well maybe a clear lacquer finish? Good to experiment with ideas.

Jim

artme
7th March 2018, 07:36 AM
That has come up well!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just the right amount of that colour so it doesn't overpower the timber.:)

Nubsnstubs
8th March 2018, 02:17 AM
Ted, that's a beautiful chunk of wood, and well executed form. Thanks for posting....... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

turnerted
8th March 2018, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the comments .
Jim I don't think brown coffee grounds would have given me the contrast I wanted and also I don't perk my own coffee , so no coffee grounds . See you at Turnfest ?
It will go on sale at Kiama Woodcraft Expo at the weekend and hopefully find a new owner .
Ted

brainstrust
10th March 2018, 07:57 PM
once again I've been inspired! Great vase. I'm thinking with some test tubed shaped glass or plastic inside it could hold a flower or two and some water.