PDA

View Full Version : Record chisels

jaybird
17th March 2018, 09:03 AM
Can anyone give me their opinion on Record turning chisels.
Thanks

hughie
17th March 2018, 09:29 AM
Made in China sold by Hare n Forbes. I have a roughing gouge and the HSS is better than most Chinese. I would say they are on a par with many other well-known brands. But I would not compare it Hamlet 2060 or Thompson etc

Pat
17th March 2018, 12:24 PM
Entry level, good for learning how to sharpen with and for 1 off grinds.

Useless in most gums and acacia's, the edge lasts for seconds, hence the sharpening practice.

Dalboy
17th March 2018, 08:38 PM
I have 5 of them three came with a bundle that I brought and the other two I brought at the right price I have no problems with them but then I suspect that they are older tools all be it HSS.

Willy Nelson
18th March 2018, 12:21 AM
I bought my set of Record chisels in 1996. They are stamped with Sheffield England. They have been superb. The large bowl gouge is the only chisel I have used up. The 25mm skew is 1/2 gone, the rest are in great condition. I mainly use the big P & N for the desert burls and hardest timbers, but mainly as the handles on the record are smaller than I need, but the records have been brilliant. Maybe purchased before they moved to China????
Willy

jaybird
18th March 2018, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the replies, I was just looking into different types and with P&N not making woodturning chisels anymore I was looking to the future when I have to change.

rustynail
18th March 2018, 11:34 AM
Like so many brand name tools, the quality has declined with off-shore manufacture. The old Sheffield made chisels were as good as any, though the handles were a little short for my liking. The new ones leave a lot to be desired in edge retention.

Willy Nelson
19th March 2018, 12:56 AM
Like so many brand name tools, the quality has declined with off-shore manufacture. The old Sheffield made chisels were as good as any, though the handles were a little short for my liking. The new ones leave a lot to be desired in edge retention.

Further, I always find the European chisel handles are too short, , too small diameter and they are a lightweight, soft wood. I don't think think I have overly large hands, but that's why I prefer to make my own handles.
Willy

jaybird
19th March 2018, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=Willy Nelson;2075832]Further, I always find the European chisel handles are too short, , too small diameter and they are a lightweight, soft wood. I don't think think I have overly large hands, but that's why I prefer to make my own handles.

I agree with you Willy I always make my own handles as well and have got quite used to the way they feel.

rustynail
19th March 2018, 11:04 AM
Yes, agree on the home made handles. Variances also helps identify the required tool, no matter which end you are looking at.

dr4g0nfly
24th March 2018, 06:22 AM
I have a couple of their bowl gouges from my early years of turning.

Don't try to put a swept back grind on them. The flute has parallel sides (not tapered to the top) and the shaving get stuck in it very easily, jammed easily.