PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper

brainstrust
19th March 2018, 09:27 PM
I have a sandpaper question........what makes a good piece of sandpaper? Does it last longer, sand quicker, has a more accurate grit count?
Other then the price what is the measure?

Toymaker Len
19th March 2018, 09:57 PM
Different things for different jobs, The paper from china with actual sand on it is all but useless except maybe for historical re-enactment. Then there is the white oxide stuff that is very good -cheap by the single sheet, available right up the grits from 60 to 400, resists clogging. Then there is the black waterproof stuff, still cheap by the sheet, all the grits up to 2000 or so, needs more care to use but better results. Then on to cloth abrasives, mostly for machines, some products for wood, some for metal, some for plastics. Good sandpaper resists clogging and tearing really. The most important thing is to work your way up through the grits until you get the finish you want.

Optimark
19th March 2018, 11:10 PM
To be honest, I think for any spindle turning, you would be hard pushed to get anything better than Abranet.

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/191777736647?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Do some research, it is very good stuff, never clogs, or if it does, just a quick shake over your dust extractor and you are ready to go again; doesn't last forever, but it certainly lasts and lasts and lasts............

Not shabby on bowls either. You can use almost any kind of hook and loop thing to hold it and rub whatever with whatever.

I find 80, 120, 180, 240 and 320 does most stuff, but I do have and do use up to 500 as well.

Mick.

pommyphil
20th March 2018, 06:34 AM
I use the colour coded stuff,otherwise you can waste a lot of time looking for the next grit size. Phil

NeilS
20th March 2018, 11:26 AM
The following is a link to a thread that I posted way back in 2011 that summarises what I found when I tested and compared some hook & loop abrasive pads which were available then. As stated in the thread, it was a subjective analysis, but at least a side-by-side test of of speed and durability performance of the abrasive disks tested. There are other brands and formulations now available, so it's far from comprehensive, however, it does provide a starting point for anyone who would like to compare those with any of the more recently available options, so you can form your own opinion.

Here is my earlier thread: Took a few sanding abrasives for a test run (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/sanding-abrasives-test-run-132081)

Note: Apologies, as with most old threads on the forum, the images and links in it are no longer working.

PS - I buy Vince's abrasives in bulk, so can provide some of those to anyone who is prepared to do a similar side-by-side test along side any of the newer/other options and report their results in a thread back here on the forum.

PPS - I'm not promoting Vince's abrasives over any other abrasives, it's just that is what I decided to use after my earlier tests. There may be better options seven years later.

PPPS - The cost of your abrasives is one of the less expensive aspects of turning, particularity if you take your time into account. Use it liberally as if it costs nothing in the same way that my grandchildren use toilet paper!

brainstrust
20th March 2018, 09:24 PM
Thanks Neil, so much I need to reread :U
I have some sunmight hook and loop en-route which I'll put to the test. Not particularly impressed with the 400 grit i've tried.

artme
23rd March 2018, 06:14 PM
I have read some criticism of Abranet and yet many Americans swear by it,

The best paper I have used id Rhino, I can no longer find this but it seems to
remain sharp for longer than other papers I have used,