PDA

View Full Version : New set of two way bookshelfs.

ciscokid
29th March 2018, 04:00 AM
Always had an itch to build something like this. Woofers are ScanSpeak 15W/8530-K00 (Revelator series) and the tweeters are Hiquphon OW1. The tweeter filter is 3rd order electrical while the woofer filter is 2nd order electrical with a padding resistor used to adjust the knee slightly.

Cabinets are 3/4" thick Baltic birch plywood laminated together to give 1-1/2" (38mm) thick front, sides, and back. There is a 2" dia. x 7" long port in the back. Bass response is 43 Hz with an F3 of 39 Hz.

Finish is 6 coats of marine spar varnish. They sound good and will sound better once they are on stands.

Thank you for looking.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th March 2018, 01:38 PM
Nice!

I like the way you've bevelled the edges to make a feature of the ply layers... I've been looking at building a new pair of bookshelfs to supplement my primaries. I think I know what they'll look like now, although probably japanned one way or another. :wink:

ciscokid
30th March 2018, 02:29 AM
Nice!

I like the way you've bevelled the edges to make a feature of the ply layers... I've been looking at building a new pair of bookshelfs to supplement my primaries. I think I know what they'll look like now, although probably japanned one way or another. :wink:

I was seriously considering multiple coats of primer, block sanding, and spraying them with automotive enamel. They would look good in bright white.