PDA

View Full Version : Maleny Wood Expo 2018

dai sensei
7th April 2018, 12:35 PM
Well who's going to Maleny Wood Expo?
5-7 May 2018. Maleny Wood Expo 2018 (http://www.malenywoodexpo.com)

I had to get my own site this year, so I will be selling my cast turning blanks, stabilised and cast knife block/scales and a few hand crafted items from them (https://www.facebook.com/DaiSenseiWoodworking/posts/1868469633209670).

Just hope I have enough stock as normally I only help out at others' sites

Simplicity
7th April 2018, 12:43 PM
Well who's going to Maleny Wood Expo?
5-7 May 2018. Maleny Wood Expo 2018 (http://www.malenywoodexpo.com)

I had to get my own site this year, so I will be selling my cast turning blanks, stabilised and cast knife block/scales and a few hand crafted items from them (https://www.facebook.com/DaiSenseiWoodworking/posts/1868469633209670).

Just hope I have enough stock as normally I only help out at others' sites

Would absolutely love to go.
Since seeing the pics here last year.
But nooo it's not happening this year an less I file for a divorce first [emoji849].
Hope your site goes well Neil and please tease us with lots of pics.

Cheers Matt

artme
7th April 2018, 05:31 PM
Bugger! Will be on the way to Singapore!!!

powderpost
7th April 2018, 08:40 PM
May the force be with you Neil....

Jim

ronboult
7th April 2018, 08:50 PM
Hi Neil
Will be attending on the Monday.
Hope to say hello
Hope it goes well for you
Ron

fishflog
14th April 2018, 08:47 AM
Gday Neil,

We will be there an Saturday, I will say hello & check out your awesome work in the flesh as it were.

Cheers
Brian B

ogato
14th April 2018, 11:34 PM
I'll be there sometime over the weekend, hope to catch up . . .
Jeff

Chief Tiff
15th April 2018, 09:33 AM
Just so happens I will be around the Sunny coast that weekend; I might get the chance to swing by. It's my daughter's 18th so unfortunately she'll sort of expect most of my time to be devoted to her...:rolleyes:

dai sensei
15th April 2018, 07:46 PM
Just so happens I will be around the Sunny coast that weekend; I might get the chance to swing by. It's my daughter's 18th so unfortunately she'll sort of expect most of my time to be devoted to her...:rolleyes:

They have a few kids classes organised.

Kidbee
18th April 2018, 10:15 PM
If you are in Maleny and feel like an excellent beef pie, head up town to the Maple 3 Cafe. I have been eating his pies for 20 odd years and they are simply the best; never have I had a bad one.

And while you are waiting for him to heat it up for you, walk across the road to David Linton's woodcraft shop. It's full of wonderfully crafted objects and a whole variety of timber slabs and bits. I bought some purple gidgee when I was last up there. David Linton – Furniture & Timberworks (http://davidlinton.com.au)

Sharing a bit of free local knowledge with you.

Gary.

rtyuiop
20th April 2018, 02:28 PM
Particularly looking forward to Maleny after dropping into the Brisbane show very briefly this morning - it wasn't great!

Although I did pick up some very nice burl turning blanks from all class timner (they always have interesting stuff), so not a waste of time...

Danny

brainstrust
20th April 2018, 10:16 PM
Damn too far north for me! I really wish there was more of this sort of thing happening in my area rather then just once a year :-

DaveVman
21st April 2018, 08:15 PM
I'm going to the Maleny show.
Dear wife wants me to finish a couple of projects this weekend so she wasn't to keen on me going elsewhere. Hence not going to the Brisbane show. No one seems to recommend it.

But we have had the Maleny show booked on the calendar for more than 6 months so I'm saving my cash for that one. It was great last year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kidbee
1st May 2018, 07:37 AM
Only a few days to go now, and the excitement is building.

david.elliott
1st May 2018, 10:36 AM
Me = Jealous...

That looks like a wood show that I could enjoy...outdoors, looks like genuine people enjoying a great day out, and didn't see any spruikers for garden tools, brooms, super chamois, and the other detritus either.

rtyuiop
5th May 2018, 01:47 PM
I just got back (had to come back to Brisbane for the afternoon sadly!) - great show, and bigger than ever this year I think! If anyone was pondering whether or not to go, I say go!

Great timber available from quite a few folks - I spent quite a bit more than I was planning to...

Junkie
5th May 2018, 05:35 PM
Any good deals on machinery?

rtyuiop
5th May 2018, 05:52 PM
No idea - I wasn't shopping for machinery so very carefully didn't check!

Junkie
5th May 2018, 06:58 PM
No worries :D
Will be heading up sometime this long weekend... :2tsup:

Dengue
7th May 2018, 11:14 PM
I drove down to Maleny earlier in the week from Townsville, sussed out the venue and parking on the Friday, all set to go! 7am next morning on the day of the Expo opening, I ended up in Maleny Hospital with dangerous hypertension. Never had high blood pressure before, in fact quite the opposite with instructions from my GP to keep an eye on it while travelling. BUGGER !! Suspect it was stress from the long drive down. Long weekend down here, cannot find a GP. Sorry to have missed the Expo, so looking forward to it and picking up some nice timber and veneers.
Now in Ipswich for a holiday, nice place, not unlike Penrith in regards distance from the capital and similar socio-economic status, with beautiful gardens and old sandstone buildings. Hoping to see a GP tomorrow somewhere here.

dai sensei
7th May 2018, 11:29 PM
I drove down to Maleny earlier in the week from Townsville, sussed out the venue and parking on the Friday, all set to go! 7am next morning on the day of the Expo opening, I ended up in Maleny Hospital with dangerous hypertension. Never had high blood pressure before, in fact quite the opposite with instructions from my GP to keep an eye on it while travelling. BUGGER !! Suspect it was stress from the long drive down. Long weekend down here, cannot find a GP. Sorry to have missed the Expo, so looking forward to it and picking up some nice timber and veneers.
Now in Ipswich for a holiday, nice place, not unlike Penrith in regards distance from the capital and similar socio-economic status, with beautiful gardens and old sandstone buildings. Hoping to see a GP tomorrow somewhere here.

Bummer, and after travelling so far :oo:

Chief Tiff
9th May 2018, 01:35 AM
I was only able to attend for a couple of hours on Sunday but definitely intend to go next year and spend a whole day there; work permitting. I can honestly say that Maleny urinated all over the last TWWS I attended back in 2016. Easily three times the size and much more room to expand too; and ample free parking! Traffic was rather heavy but I think there was about 3 different shows happening concurrently that weekend.

Managed to get in a few words with Neil before he was again swamped with customers; I also met a couple of big names like Evan Dunstone and Robert Howard in the main pavilion where their Wootha prize entries were exhibited. Wow; the skills shown in all of those entries there were breathtaking.

I picked up a couple of bits of Huon for a project, a head mounted magnifier for really close up work and finally succumbed to Chris Vesper's array of shiny things and came away with a Cohen marking knife in Lace Sheoak. Bloody good job I was only there for a short time; my wallet was trying to break free!

Sigh... 12 months till the next one :(

Dareen
9th May 2018, 10:28 AM
Maleny Wood Expo 2018. What a great show.

Managed to spend Saturday and Sunday at the show and could not have wanted for a better couple of days.

Thousands of people on Saturday and a few less on Sunday. A bit over a hundred stall holders and exhibitors. Mostly wood related with support from a good variety of food and coffee stalls. The amount and variety of wood, from huge slabs down to pen blanks was incredible. By the look of the smiling people walking out with great bundles under their arms and dragging loaded trolleys, there were a lot of happy folks.

They had a wonderful setup for the kids with hands-on woodworking classes, boomerang and didgeridoo making, paper and basket making, along with a straw bale maze and wooden toys play areas, just to mention a few. The kids were having a great time.

Heard mentioned that some new people have taken up the organising of the Brisbane Wood Show for next year and have been around a lot of the stall holders at Maleny getting their input and interest for 2019 at a possibly new venue. So that sounds positive.

Will attach a couple of photos of the weekend.

Now really looking forward to next year.
Cheers, Fred

dai sensei
9th May 2018, 10:05 PM
Maleny Wood Expo 2018. What a great show.

Managed to spend Saturday and Sunday at the show and could not have wanted for a better couple of days.......

Yep you did well, Monday started a lot cooler, drizzle started at around 10 and then the heavier rain after lunch and only got worse with time. Lovely stuff to pack up in :doh: it even continued on Tuesday :tdown:

Damienol
10th May 2018, 07:01 AM
I went and had a look and was very surprised. It exceeded my expectations by a fair way.

Definately worth the trip.

There wasnt much in the way in terms of machinery or power tools.

Mobyturns
11th May 2018, 09:12 PM
Another Townsvillean that made the long drive down. The Expo far exceeded my expectations, lots of HQ timber at quite reasonable prices I thought. Something for everyone, great range of food stalls, and some awesome entertainment.

ralphiebabe
13th May 2018, 11:24 AM
I would have loved to have gone this year, but alas it wasn’t to be. It’s a long way from Batemans Bay to the Sunny coast. Will be up there in June to see my daughter. So maybe next year. I always try to get to the Sydney and Canberra shows.

DaveVman
14th May 2018, 01:03 PM
I bought this load of timber.
I also bought the Arbotech turbo thing on special and a few finishes.
Someone kicked over a stack of boards my little wife was holding for me so she walked around all day with a swollen toe.

It's a great event. I was thinking that I hope it keeps growing.

On reflection, if it was any bigger I would need 2 days to get around it all and then I'd spend even more. And the bank account can't take the punishment.

I collected business cards from some merchants so I know where to find them if I want more between now and next year.

Now I am trying to find a more efficient way to store the timber and preserve floor space in the workshop. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180514/73522ace50bfa30b1336e75dafa98eca.jpg

Chief Tiff
14th May 2018, 09:17 PM
My trip to Maleny just got even better; this morning I received and E-mail from John Madden at Wood Dust telling me that I had won 1st prize in the Wood Dust E-mail sign up!

It's one of Evan Dunstone's chair kits; the E-mail say it is a "Waterfall" but after looking at the Dunstone Designs website I think he may have made a minor error as the Waterfall (http://www.dunstonedesign.com.au/furniture/product/waterfall-stool) is a stool and not advertised as being available in kit form. The chair kit advertised by DD is an "Alpha (http://www.dunstonedesign.com.au/furniture/product/alpha-chair-kit)" so I expect that is the one I will receive, unless of course Evan was introducing a new product at the show and hasn't released it on his website yet!

I came across this pos (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/dunstone-alpha-chair-kit-205130)t from 2016 where another forumite was lucky enough to win one of Evan's chair kits; if mine is also an Alpha I'll be able to run a WIP comparing the different chair builds.

I'm absolutely stoked! Without a doubt now the Maleny wood expo has been my Best. Show. Ever!

dai sensei
14th May 2018, 09:22 PM
My trip to Maleny just got even better; this morning I received and E-mail from John Madden at Wood Dust telling me that I had won 1st prize in the Wood Dust E-mail sign up!...

Congrats mate :2tsup:

DaveVman
14th May 2018, 11:18 PM
My trip to Maleny just got even better; this morning I received and E-mail from John Madden at Wood Dust telling me that I had won 1st prize in the Wood Dust E-mail sign .....

I'm absolutely stoked! Without a doubt now the Maleny wood expo has been my Best. Show. Ever!

Congrats mate. That's awesome!

Willy Nelson
15th May 2018, 01:22 AM
My trip to Maleny just got even better; this morning I received and E-mail from John Madden at Wood Dust telling me that I had won 1st prize in the Wood Dust E-mail sign up!

Typical tin ass chippy!!!!

Chief Tiff
15th May 2018, 03:55 PM
And nobody does Jealous like a Gunbuster! :D