PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Pine Bowl

Benny_
12th May 2018, 10:16 PM
G’day,
I made this bowl out of cypress pine a couple of weeks ago at the Peninsula Woodturners Guild. While turning it, it split in 4 different places. I used super glue to fill the cracks but didn’t want to break it so I didn’t shape it anymore after that. Due to limited time, I couldn’t quite get all of the scratches and marks off. The natural feature on the outside is quite nice, in my opinion.

I’ll get some measurements later.
It was polished with EEE.

DaveTTC
12th May 2018, 11:13 PM
Cypress is notorious for splitting like that. Nice job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Optimark
13th May 2018, 10:02 AM
I agree with you that the natural feature makes for a more interesting bowl and I agree with Dave, Cypress Pine certainly has a tendency to split.

Wonderful smell when turning though.:welldone:

Mick.

Simplicity
13th May 2018, 10:11 AM
Nicely done Sir,
But yes it can split on you.
But it also can take a fantastic finish if you work it well.
Hit me up if you want some off cuts.
I use cypress for fence building from time to time.
Cheers Matt

Treecycle
13th May 2018, 11:02 AM
Good to see you attempting something new as it will only help to enhance your skills. The first bowl I turned out of Cypress cracked as well and it was as dry as could be. You only have to look at Cypress Pine pickets that are for sale at the hardware places and see how many of those you have to go through before you find one without splits, leave it for a week or two and it will probably also have splits.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th May 2018, 11:26 AM
I've found that Cypress most often splits while I'm sanding. I believe it's the heat generated, causing micro-checks that rapidly escalate into disastrous splits.

I have more success with doing light cuts to shape and almost as light a touch when sanding. Worth it, though. :)

DaveTTC
13th May 2018, 11:27 AM
I've found that Cypress most often splits while I'm sanding. I believe it's the heat generated, causing micro-checks that rapidly escalate into disastrous splits.

I have more success with doing light cuts to shape and almost as light a touch when sanding. Worth it, though. :)

I’ll have to try that next time and see if I notice a difference. Loving getting ideas from other other people

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th May 2018, 11:52 AM
I’ll have to try that next time and see if I notice a difference. Loving getting ideas from other other people

Please do. It would be good to have confirmation or refutation of my findings.

After all, I can be fairly heavy-handed when it comes to sanding timbers I find easy to come by, even though I know better. :B

Benny_
13th May 2018, 02:00 PM
You only have to look at Cypress Pine pickets that are for sale at the hardware places and see how many of those you have to go through before you find one without splits, leave it for a week or two and it will probably also have splits.
I get those pickets at Bunnings for my pens, they work well but do tend to split if you don’t use them quick enough...

smiife
13th May 2018, 08:13 PM
Hi benny, that is a very good bowl young fella,
Don, t be disheartened b y a few cracks that is just the nature
of the timber , get hold of some decent stuff and try again !
Well done , and keep on turning :2tsup:

brainstrust
13th May 2018, 08:47 PM
I get those pickets at Bunnings for my pens, they work well but do tend to split if you don’t use them quick enough...

Those Bunnings pickets :U

https://s25.postimg.cc/x68n0ou7j/20180126_103153-1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/5ivxml90r/)

Benny_
13th May 2018, 08:53 PM
Those Bunnings pickets :U

https://s25.postimg.cc/x68n0ou7j/20180126_103153-1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/5ivxml90r/)

That’s a nice one!

tony_A
13th May 2018, 10:17 PM
Good effort Benny I like the use of natural features. You should keep this bowl so you can look back on it in a year or so and see how much you have improved. I have a couple of my early ones.

Tony

tony_A
18th May 2018, 11:06 PM
Well you asked for it Ben so I snapped a couple of photos of my earlier work and will show them to you as long as you promise not to show them to anyone else. They were not finished well, have torn grain and tool marks and have been sitting in the shed gathering dust. And they do not have a pleasing shape.

I don't like the bowl below as the base is too wide and the reverse curve in the side. The timber warped significantly but that's OK

Bowl 2 below is way too wide at the base which makes it look fat and heavy although the curve of the side is better.

I bought a couple of books on turning, one by Richard Raffan ( The Art of Turned Bowls) and the other by Mark Sanger (Turning Hollow Forms). I feel that my turning really started improving based on what I learned from these authors. Both authors went into some detail on the shape and form of turned works. This to me is key to producing good work. Anyone can get a nice finish with enough sandpaper but producing something that has an appealing shape is what it is all about. While there is an element of personal taste in this, the basics nearly always apply. Both books are good and if I had to pick one I would probably go for Mark Sanger.

Tony