PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wood turner in Hobart area

artful bodger
29th May 2018, 07:01 PM
Wondering if there is any competent wood turner in the Hobart area who may be interested in some ongoing work?.
If so please send me a message for further details.
Thanks.

artful bodger
31st May 2018, 10:54 AM
There is obviously a fair few turners here in the Hobart area turning knick knacks for the tourist market trade. The ongoing work that is available will pay much better than the market stuff and will have more variety.

ian
31st May 2018, 11:29 AM
Perhaps also post cross links on the main Woodworking pages and stuff Wanted

Depending on the size of what you are after posting from Vic or NSW may be viable.

smiife
1st June 2018, 08:41 PM
Wondering if there is any competent wood turner in the Hobart area who may be interested in some ongoing work?.
If so please send me a message for further details.
Thanks.

Obviously no competent woodturners In Hobart !!!!!!
You may have to go further a field mate ........:;

ian
2nd June 2018, 12:30 AM
You may have to go further a field mate ........:;
Hint
Hint
:wink:

artful bodger
2nd June 2018, 09:11 AM
Hint
Hint

I am not the one who is doing the employing (it is the employer who want's to keep it local). The work has built up over time where it is more than I care to do myself. I have previously got another turner on board which took the load off for a while however it has built up again to a level where there is again too much for my liking.
There are a fair share of turners down here, it's just not everyone is in it for money. Most seem content to have a hobby and that's all.

ian
2nd June 2018, 02:36 PM
I am not the one who is doing the employing (it is the employer who want's to keep it local). The work has built up over time where it is more than I care to do myself. I have previously got another turner on board which took the load off for a while however it has built up again to a level where there is again too much for my liking.
There are a fair share of turners down here, it's just not everyone is in it for money. Most seem content to have a hobby and that's all.
There's also the issue of productivity.
As a hobby or for the craft market, productivity can be so, so.

as a business activity your productivity has to be up there otherwise you are working for less than a kid flipping burgers at Macas.

artful bodger
2nd June 2018, 06:03 PM
There's also the issue of productivity.
As a hobby or for the craft market, productivity can be so, so.

as a business activity your productivity has to be up there otherwise you are working for less than a kid flipping burgers at Macas.

Yes that is why I asked for competent turners in the initial post. The money is fine, more than I could be earning in my trade as a patternmaker (working for some one else), plus the timber gets dropped off at your place and picked up after turning.

smiife
2nd June 2018, 06:51 PM
Hint
Hint

No , No , I wasn, t hinting at all:no:
I don, t have enough time to enjoy my hobby now !
Unfortunately I have to work...........:~:~
So I get maybe a sunday afternoon to turn...............:C

artful bodger
2nd June 2018, 07:17 PM
No , No , I wasn, t hinting at all:no:
I don, t have enough time to enjoy my hobby now !
Unfortunately I have to work...........:~:~
So I get maybe a sunday afternoon to turn...............:C

It's a bit of a conundrum, when your hobby turns to a full time job.....somehow the enjoyment levels drop off.