PDA

View Full Version : Australian wood turning exhibition 2008

mick661
2nd July 2018, 08:03 PM
Hello fellow turners how many of you entered the exhibition this year?
Would you like to post pics of your entries please.
Cheers Mick

smiife
2nd July 2018, 08:54 PM
Hello fellow turners how many of you entered the exhibition this year?
Would you like to post pics of your entries please.
Cheers Mick

Hi mick , are these your entries ?
Reading another thread here , is there a reason why the winners of
AWTex , are not announced , or a list with photos maybe could be
put in a post ,
Nice pieces by the way :2tsup:

mick661
2nd July 2018, 09:03 PM
You are far too kind i have seen your pieces they are much better

mick661
2nd July 2018, 09:17 PM
Re; Exhibition winners and photos, thats a very good question. Firstly the exhibition sells a disc with all the winners and place getters even pieces of interest.
I am sure a list could be acquired and posted at some point but i wouldn't be hassling them at the moment its a huge job to get the exhibition to happen so the committee is having a well earned rest.
I could ask next time i see the committee as i have put my hand up to join the committee is because they need help. If they don't get enough help for next year THERE WILL NOT BE AN EXHIBITION TO ENTER IF THERE ISN'T ENOUGH HELP

smiife
2nd July 2018, 09:41 PM
Re; Exhibition winners and photos, thats a very good question. FIrstly the exhibition sells a disc with all the winners and place getters even pieces of interest.
I am sure a list could be acquired and posted at some point but i wouldn't be hassling them at the moment its a huge job to get the exhibition to happen so the committee is having a well earned rest.
I could ask next time i see the committee as i have put my hand up to join the committee is because they need help. If they don't get enough help for next year THERE WILL NOT BE AN EXHIBITION TO ENTER IF THERE ISN'T ENOUGH HELP

Hi Mick , I was aware of the disc and understand they need to sell them and think that Is fair enough , (I always purchase one to keep anyway)......
I also understand a lot of work behind the scenes goes in to putting an
Exhibition like this one on and a lot of people are needed to volunteer to
make It happen , I think most of us appreciate what they do , I certainly do.
I wish I could help out , unfortunately work and distance make that a bit
hard at the moment ,
As someone has already pointed out not everyone knows who, s work has
won in each section , just thought it would be usefull for people on the forum
here and all over the world that are Interested , after all it is Australian Woodturning Exhibition .
Many thanks:2tsup:

mick661
2nd July 2018, 09:55 PM
I will see what i can do

robbygard
2nd July 2018, 10:24 PM
Re; Exhibition winners and photos, thats a very good question. Firstly the exhibition sells a disc with all the winners and place getters even pieces of interest.
P

is that a disc of photos? ... if so i would be interested in buying one ... i cannot see anything about it on their site ... from where would i get one?

regards david

mick661
2nd July 2018, 10:36 PM
Hello David when you submit your entries there is a spot to order one also you can order the disc during the show. What I would do is go on to the awtex site and use the CONTACT US or similar and request a copy.
Cheers Mick

powderpost
2nd July 2018, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=smiife;2095068]is there a reason why the winners of
put in a post , /QUOTE]

Yes there is a good reason, of the committee of seven, two had only been released fro hospital a week before the exhibition, and to correlate photos and names to put together a file to put up on this site and the numerous other sites that have a vested interest in this event is a major undertaking. I have seen what goes on behind the scenes before, during and after the exhibition and I am continuously amazed at how much work it takes to put together such an event. Add to that the distances and time involved in attending meetings. After the exhibition finishes on Sunday, it is not uncommon for the committee and volunteers to be there until after 8:30pm. The council requires the venue to be cleared and cleaned on Sunday. The committee will meet end of June and the loose ends will be tidied up then.

Jim

Sturdee
2nd July 2018, 11:25 PM
As someone has already pointed out not everyone knows who, s work has
won in each section , just thought it would be usefull for people on the forum
here and all over the world that are Interested , after all it is Australian Woodturning Exhibition .

The results are on their website. Appeared soon after the start of the exhibition.

Click on the link (http://awtex.com.au/2017-results/) and then click on the 2018 results button and a PDF file will open showing all the winners and categories.

Peter.

robbygard
3rd July 2018, 09:12 AM
Hello David when you submit your entries there is a spot to order one also you can order the disc during the show. What I would do is go on to the awtex site and use the CONTACT US or similar and request a copy.
Cheers Mick

thanks

regards david

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd July 2018, 07:51 PM
Wow! Looking at the list of winners on the AWTEX site, there are only a couple of familiar names! :oo:

Perhaps it's time this li'l black duck started placing entries again...

smiife
3rd July 2018, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=smiife;2095068]is there a reason why the winners of
put in a post , /QUOTE]

Yes there is a good reason, of the committee of seven, two had only been released fro hospital a week before the exhibition, and to correlate photos and names to put together a file to put up on this site and the numerous other sites that have a vested interest in this event is a major undertaking. I have seen what goes on behind the scenes before, during and after the exhibition and I am continuously amazed at how much work it takes to put together such an event. Add to that the distances and time involved in attending meetings. After the exhibition finishes on Sunday, it is not uncommon for the committee and volunteers to be there until after 8:30pm. The council requires the venue to be cleared and cleaned on Sunday. The committee will meet end of June and the loose ends will be tidied up then.

Jim

Thanks for the explaination Jim, I understand better now , I didn, t realize
the committee was only 7 people :o

smiife
3rd July 2018, 08:49 PM
The results are on their website. Appeared soon after the start of the exhibition.

Click on the link (http://awtex.com.au/2017-results/) and then click on the 2018 results button and a PDF file will open showing all the winners and categories.

Peter.

Thanks Peter , I did have a look on the website but didn, t see anything ,
I had better have another look ....... cheers ....

smiife
3rd July 2018, 08:51 PM
I will see what i can do
Thanks Mick .
I think the date on the post should be 2018:U:U sorry !!!!!

brendan stemp
4th July 2018, 11:40 AM
This was one of my 'pieces of AWTEx'. Made by Greg Coburn (Ararat Woodturners), it caught my eye because of its originality. An interesting design and very well made. The bottom is semi-spherical and balances as seen. Great stuff Greg.438668

brainstrust
4th July 2018, 09:38 PM
This was one of my 'pieces of AWTEx'. Made by Greg Coburn (Ararat Woodturners), it caught my eye because of its originality. An interesting design and very well made. The bottom is semi-spherical and balances as seen. Great stuff Greg.

I don't get it!!! Your piece but made by Greg :? not hard to confuse me though!!!

mick661
4th July 2018, 11:04 PM
What Brendan is saying is that he likes the piece

brendan stemp
11th July 2018, 11:52 AM
Yep, I agree; an ambiguous comment. What I meant to say was this bowl, made by Greg Coburn was one of my favourite pieces at AWTEx.

mick661
19th July 2018, 08:34 PM
Hello so there must be other members on here who entered pieces why don't you post pics please.
Cheers mick

powderpost
20th July 2018, 12:07 AM
How many forum members went and had a look at the Exhibition?

Jim

mick661
20th July 2018, 07:25 AM
That's a good question as well Jim.
Cheers mick

Sturdee
20th July 2018, 10:42 AM

Jim

Notwithstanding the 60 % increase in admission charge I went because I was able to get a lift to and from on the Friday morning.

Still don't like the new place especially the uncertainty and lack of suitable parking especially as the old venue is still operating and doesn't look like being renovated through lack of funding.

Peter.

Gabriel
20th July 2018, 12:39 PM
I have been previous years but wasn't able to scoot down this time - I hope it continues as it really is an amazing display of talent and artistry....I'll certainly be there in future years

mick661
25th July 2018, 10:48 PM
There isnt enough room at the old venue.
I like the improvements the demonstrations
Are a plus as far as I am concerned.
Parking is pretty much an issue wherever you go these days.
Cheers mick

Benny_
26th July 2018, 11:04 AM

Jim

I was there on Friday, first time going. I enjoyed it, especially seeing all of the pieces and talking to people.

mick661
26th July 2018, 09:56 PM
How many of you entered and how many went. Would you enter the competition?
Cheers mick

powderpost
26th July 2018, 10:57 PM
I was there on Friday and Sunday, would have liked to meet any forum members that did attend. I didn't enter this year bot most likely will enter next year.

Jim

hughie
27th July 2018, 05:20 AM
entered but never went, will probably enter next year and may do a day trip as I have never been.

mick661
27th July 2018, 09:05 PM
That's great hughie. Would you like to post some pics of the pieces you entered please.
Cheers mick

smiife
27th July 2018, 09:10 PM
entered but never went, will probably enter next year and may do a day trip as I have never been.

A day trip to Melbourne !!!!!!! Good luck with that !!!!:U