PDA

View Full Version : lidded vase/urn

smiife
23rd July 2018, 08:25 PM
Hi guys , this is a lidded vase or urn I made for the AWTEX this year , the timber is unknown , but has birdseye , burl , feathering , nice piece of wood , hollowed out and I added a threaded aluminum collar and finial , also coloured with spirit stains , comments and advice always welcome :2tsup:

powderpost
23rd July 2018, 09:13 PM
Looks nice.. but, always a "but", personally I think the aluminum finial would be better with less detail. I think it would better match the bottom part. The concept is interesting. Did you hand chase the aluminum?

Jim

brainstrust
23rd July 2018, 09:17 PM
awesome wood and finish, very nice :U

mick661
24th July 2018, 01:09 AM
Very nice piece

Dalboy
24th July 2018, 04:00 AM
Like the bottom but the finial does not look right I personally think it could have been a little more slender.

Forgot to say I like the idea and use of mixed materials

Paul39
24th July 2018, 08:56 AM
As much as I admire the skill it takes to make wood or metal finials, if someone put a gun to my head and said, "make a finial", I would reply, "let me think about it". I am also not a fan of mixing wood and metal.

The figure of the timber, shape of the piece, and finish are beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Looking at the photos again, in view 4 the metal rim does not bother me. It could be that the bright finial on top grabs the eye to the detriment of the darker shape.

smiife
24th July 2018, 09:04 PM
Hi Jim, I made the finial with something else in mind first , and then decided to fit it to this vase , yes , I hand chased the aluminum finial ......

[QUOTE=brainstrust;2098919]awesome wood and finish, very nice :U

Hi B T , thanks for your comments....

Very nice piece

Thanks Mick , appreciate your thoughts .....

smiife
24th July 2018, 09:09 PM
Like the bottom but the finial does not look right I personally think it could have been a little more slender.

Forgot to say I like the idea and use of mixed materials

Thanks Derek , Just trying something a bit different.....

As much as I admire the skill it takes to make wood or metal finials, if someone put a gun to my head and said, "make a finial", I would reply, "let me think about it". I am also not a fan of mixing wood and metal.

The figure of the timber, shape of the piece, and finish are beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Looking at the photos again, in view 4 the metal rim does not bother me. It could be that the bright finial on top grabs the eye to the detriment of the darker shape.

Hi paul , yeah , maybe I should have just left it as a rim on the top
Appreciate your comments , thank you !

Simplicity
24th July 2018, 09:16 PM
I like it a lot,I love it.
Love the combination of metal and wood.
I personally think you nailed it with the finale.

Cheers Matt

Dalboy
24th July 2018, 09:43 PM
If we don't try "something different" then we will not progress in woodturning. I find that if I had stuck to plain bowls I would have not enjoyed the journey so much as I do now Keep them coming.

smiife
25th July 2018, 08:47 PM
I like it a lot,I love it.
Love the combination of metal and wood.
I personally think you nailed it with the finale.

Cheers Matt

Hi Matt , thanks for your thoughts mate, really appreciate It ....:2tsup:

If we don't try "something different" then we will not progress in woodturning. I find that if I had stuck to plain bowls I would have not enjoyed the journey so much as I do now Keep them coming.

Hi Derek , yeah , I like to mix my turning up and make something different
each time I get to turn , I think It keeps things more challenging and
more exciting , thanks for your comments .....:2tsup: