PDA

View Full Version : Power sanding your bowls?

woodtryer
23rd July 2018, 10:15 PM
Who uses a power sander like the Proxxon as against an inertia sander? I have only every used the Vermec inertia sander and have always been happy so I'm curious to know what advantage if any something like the Proxxon provides.

Cheers Peter

dai sensei
23rd July 2018, 11:48 PM
I use a power drill or grinder with a sander. Advantage is that you don't get the start/stop of an inertia sander especially around the middle or this difficult areas Disadvantage is you need to watch scratching and follow the grits

Paul39
24th July 2018, 01:30 AM
I have used a regular 3/8 inch drill and also one of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-close-quarters-drill-with-keyless-chuck-63119.html which is more comfortable to hold. I also have a right angle electric die grinder which only accepts 1/4 inch shaft accessories in the collet. That really rips off the material when one has to resort to the 80 or 50 grit chisel. It looks like this but is a little fatter and electric powered: https://guide.alibaba.com/shop/dynabrade-54363-air-die-grinder-right-angle-18krpm-0-7-hp-41cfm_34797809.html

I have made various sizes of slightly convex shaped like this drawer pull and also use salvaged drawer pulls:

Wood Drawer Pulls – smartonlinewebsites.com (http://smartonlinewebsites.com/wood-drawer-pulls/)

I drill a hole in a hard piece of timber and glue in a 1/4 inch rod, then chuck rod or a knob on back of the timber to make the face.

I stick double sided foam tape on the pull and stick square pieces of sandpaper just a bit larger than the diameter of the pull. The square corners extending past the round support feather the sanding nicely to avoid getting a ridge.

As a variation I have glued a salvaged cheaper version of this: https://www.commercialmatsandrubber.com/premium-soft-floor-eva-foam-tiles on the timber and used double sided carpet tape for the sandpaper. Both the double sided carpet tape and the double sided foam tape are very handy for turning.

hughie
24th July 2018, 08:03 PM
I used an old XU1 pistol drill for years until the bearings gave way. Use alot of inertia sanders these days but still use the power sanding via a AEG pistol drill sanding heads from McJings

smiife
24th July 2018, 08:44 PM
I use my old makita battery powered drill , advantages I think are no cord to wrap around the work while on the lathe :o , you have more control, forward and reverse modes , also slow and fast options . Just my 2 bob, s worth :U

woodtryer
24th July 2018, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the input. Seems there are many different power sander variants used out there. I have watched many YouTube videos with probably about a 50/50 mix of power and inertia sanding. I may try out power sander to see how it goes.
Thanks Peter

Dalboy
24th July 2018, 09:47 PM
I use both methods power sanding for the same reason that Neil stated where the centre rotates at a too slow a speed for the inertia sander

NeilS
31st July 2018, 04:21 PM
I only use power sanding. I have my own design... I developed it as I wanted something that was very quiet, light and very maneuverable.

The following two photos show the basic elements. Forward and reverse switch and quick release chuck. I have a mandrel for each grit level in a number of diameters.

I'll post something further about it when I get back in a month or so if it needs any further explanation.

woodtryer
31st July 2018, 07:39 PM
Love the home sander Neil. I have gone and purchased a cordless right angle drill as i think it is a low enough profile to do the job. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks

hughie
1st August 2018, 05:31 PM
I only use power sanding. I have my own design... I developed it as I wanted something that was very quiet, light and very maneuverable.

The following two photos show the basic elements. Forward and reverse switch and quick release chuck. I have a mandrel for each grit level in a number of diameters.

I'll post something further about it when I get back in a month or so if it needs any further explanation.

I have something similar on a swing arm. Although prefer the inertia sander as it will provide a finish a few grits higher than the actual grit being used.

Big A
1st August 2018, 09:43 PM
NeilS - the things one notices. A Queensland Government towel and you live in good old SA!

Good looking sander, by the way.

Alister.

NeilS
2nd August 2018, 10:23 AM
NeilS - the things one notices. A Queensland Government towel and you live in good old SA!

Yeah, long story, short; I was working in Qld about 40 years ago, so I'm hazy now on the detail on how I came by it ....

Good thing it doesn't have Qld Correctional Services printed on it...:U

NeilS
2nd August 2018, 03:16 PM
I have something similar on a swing arm. Although prefer the inertia sander as it will provide a finish a few grits higher than the actual grit being used.

Hughie

I would appreciate some photos of your swing arm arrangement, when convenient.

Thanks

TTIT
4th August 2018, 09:33 PM
I gave up using the inertia sanders many years ago - fools of things!! Tried the common variations of power-sanders - electric drills, mini angle grinders, flex drive on power drill etc etc. All had limitations and drawbacks . . . . and then I got my 110degree die grinder - all problems solved! :U Love the thing to pieces - just wind the regulator back a little so it doesn't run at full speed, and no matter what part of a bowl or form your working on, you still have full control.
https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/a/basso-1-4-115-degree-angle-die-grinder-bg230ra1.jpg

woodtryer
19th August 2018, 01:24 PM
Just a quick update. I got one of the Makita cordless angle drills and I'm very happy with the results. It's not as compact as some of the other options shown but it does me for the bowls i turn.
Thanks for all your feedback.

Pete

dr4g0nfly
22nd August 2018, 06:37 AM
I do use both. Mostly an inertia sander but if I have a problem area, a drill as a power sander carefully over that area.
The issue I have with power sanding is electric drills only have a life of around 100 hours, that's forever drilling holes but constant use as a sanding device chews through that time very quickly.

hughie
22nd August 2018, 03:38 PM
Hughie

I would appreciate some photos of your swing arm arrangement, when convenient.

Thanks

Neil, sorry for the slow rate of reply, life has got in the way.

The set up is a simple affair attached to a small bed at 90' to the main bed at the Headstock. It can swivel on the base or on the cross-coupling at the top/above. Currently, thats where it swings with a collar underneath to maintain height setting. Also, the horizontal arm can move in and out to vary the arm length as needed. Then to all this the drill and flexible drive is fitted.

hughie
22nd August 2018, 03:46 PM
I do use both. Mostly an inertia sander but if I have a problem area, a drill as a power sander carefully over that area.
The issue I have with power sanding is electric drills only have a life of around 100 hours, that's forever drilling holes but constant use as a sanding device chews through that time very quickly.

I must be lucky as I bought a very cheap Chinese variable speed hammer drill 13mm capacity several years ago and it last about 5years and it was my go to sander during those years. Its longevity amazed me as I was busy on the lathe 15-20 hrs a week. The failure was a worn out plastic bearing housing, everything else was running ok. Unfortunately, the housing was part of the main body and not practical to repair.

NeilS
24th August 2018, 01:23 AM
The set up is a simple affair attached to a small bed at 90' to the main bed at the Headstock. It can swivel on the base or on the cross-coupling at the top/above.

Thanks, Hughie.

If you don't mind I will tuck that design idea away for my next workshop.

Regards

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

hughie
24th August 2018, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Hughie.

If you don't mind I will tuck that design idea away for my next workshop.

Regards

No worries, if ever in Sydney you can drop by and have a yarn and a gander :) It has additional features as I can add my video camera to it, plus hang the big gulp of it as well.

NeilS
25th August 2018, 02:22 AM
No worries, if ever in Sydney you can drop by and have a yarn and a gander :) It has additional features as I can add my video camera to it, plus hang the big gulp of it as well.OK, thanks.