PDA

View Full Version : Bench height

Fumbler
26th July 2018, 08:20 PM
Team, I've just landed a brand new lathe and wanted to make a bench for it to sit on. What's the ideal height for the bench for it to sit on.

i have read that you reach your left arm over to touch your right shoulder with your left hand and measure to the floor to get the correct spindle height. But I have done that and it comes in at 1280, take off the spindle height of 370, and it gives me a height of 910. This seems bit extreme and too high. As I have made this already it looks way too high. So may need to chop it down some.

any recommendations?

ps it's a mini bench top, 470 between centres with 356mm swing.

NeilS
26th July 2018, 09:03 PM
i have read that you reach your left arm over to touch your right shoulder with your left hand and measure to the floor to get the correct spindle height.

any recommendations?

I can work with that height, but I prefer about 20mm higher, but I'm mostly turning bowls outboard. The inboard turners and spindle turners may have different advice.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

mick661
26th July 2018, 10:02 PM
I think there isnt really a golden rule for height . My lathe spindle is about elbow height I also have a duckboard I stand on which is 70mm higher which sometimes I use sometimes I dont depending on what I am turning

artful bodger
26th July 2018, 10:43 PM
The golden rule here is that your lathes axis between headstock centre and tailstock centre should be at your elbow height.
Mine was much lower than that for a long time and 8 hour days at the lathe were hurting.
When lathe was raised to elbow height it seemed ridiculously high at first, but you get use to it and no more hurting (neck,back etc)

Paul39
27th July 2018, 01:42 AM
I do around 90% bowls inboard. I like spindle higher than elbow hight to save bending over to do the insides. I don't mind working straight in or slightly up on the spindles.

I thinks whatever is comfortable for the individual is the right hight.

Dalboy
27th July 2018, 02:33 AM
Like many that I talk to either here or other forums they go centre equal to elbow height and up to +4" above that, it will depend on which is comfortable. If you work the bench with the lathe on it so the centre is elbow height you can always lift it on blocks if you find it too low for you.
Mine is 2" higher and is comfortable for me so that I do not have to bend that much.

hughie
27th July 2018, 05:14 AM
Hah, this is a can of worms. Its a bit like what the best angle for gouges :U

I tend to have my lathe centre higher than most in relation to my height and this because of what I turn. But the elbow on the shoulder idea is close for me.
But at the end of the day, the height has many variables to consider ie age, medical issues if any and so. So I think its really a case of 'what works for you' and as Neil has pointed out bowls are one thing and spindles are another.

Fumbler
27th July 2018, 05:39 AM
Hah, this is a can of worms. Its a bit like what the best angle for gouges :U.

and best oil for chopping boards

Fumbler
28th July 2018, 05:55 AM
Here's the bench rather quickly made, but sturdy and once panelled on the back and sides with drawers and flip up job table on side she should be solid as a rock. on 2 locking castors so can move.

hughie
29th July 2018, 11:33 PM
and best oil for chopping boards

Probably Kunos