PDA

View Full Version : Lathe bed protection

Fumbler
27th July 2018, 06:22 AM
Team,

What do you guys rub/spray/apply to your lathe bed to aid in rust prevention, and tailstock movement?

thanks

Richard

Pat
27th July 2018, 09:33 AM
Silverglide, Inox, Paste Wax, Mineral Oil, WD40 . . .

coffenup
27th July 2018, 09:54 AM
Team,

What do you guys rub/spray/apply to your lathe bed to aid in rust prevention, and tailstock movement?

thanks

RichardI use silver glide on my lathe bed

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

onetrack
27th July 2018, 12:07 PM
The bloke in the video below gives a rundown on his machine top protection techniques.

https://stusshed.com/tag/silver-glide/

Secondly, keeping your shop area fairly well sealed and just slightly warm, and at an even temperature on a permanent basis, prevents moisture from condensing on machinery.
In the old days, keeping an incandescent light globe on, inside a tool cabinet, was typically used to prevent corrosion on tools.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th July 2018, 02:16 PM
Silverglide, Inox, Paste Wax, Mineral Oil, WD40 . . .

In that order of preference? DItto.

Although I only use WD-40 as a lube with a bit of steel wool when actually cleaning. After cleaning with WD-40 I wipe down with a rag and apply a "proper" protection. Preferably Silvergleit.

China
27th July 2018, 03:07 PM
Inox

woodtryer
27th July 2018, 06:31 PM
Silverglide on lathe bed as well as table saw abd bandsaw.

Regards Peter

Dalboy
27th July 2018, 07:58 PM
I keep the workshop above freezing which helps with protection and also apply woodwax22 which I have found is great been using t on top of the lathe as well as the bandsaw table have had no problems with either machine and keeps them sliding nicely

Treecycle
27th July 2018, 11:46 PM
Ubeaut Natural Wax. Nice and slippery and prevents rust for months. I use it on all my cast iron surfaces and to help delay the rust put an old sheet or similar over the surface which seems to really extend the protection.

Keith_1
28th July 2018, 11:00 AM
Hi Fumbler,

This is what I use on the beds of both my woodlathe and metal turning lathe - Ferro Pak G15

Does a good job.

Got it at the Working with Wood Show a couple of years ago

Regards

Keith

orraloon
28th July 2018, 11:05 AM
Another small help regardless of what you use is to brush off the dust and shavings after every session as it can attract moisture and hold it on the metal. Most times I get rust on surfaces is after being a bit slack with the housekeeping.
Regards
John

dai sensei
28th July 2018, 11:13 AM
Spray on Teflon, most hardwares and belt/bearing/bolt etc shops sell them, SuperGlide/SprayGlide etc there are a few names. It sets hard and dry so doesn't attract dust. CA and resin also come off it easily. I use it on my lathe/bandsaw/tablesaw/handtools etc etc

SilverGlide as recommended above works too but I prefer the dry setting Teflon.

WD40 and similar sprays are ok for cleaning, but do not leave it on for extended periods, as I swear it attracts rust once the liquid component has evaporated.

Optimark
28th July 2018, 03:04 PM
This is lifted from the Laguna manual for their 24-36 wood lathe:

Keep your machine clean. At the end of each day, clean the machine. Wood contains
moisture, and if sawdust or wood chips are not removed they will cause rust.
In general, we recommend that you only use a Teflon-based lubricant on the lathe.
Regular oil attracts dust and dirt. Teflon lubricant tends to dry and has less of a tendency
to accumulate dirt and saw dust.

Mick.

CAG
29th July 2018, 11:18 AM
I bought some Ferro Pak G-15 from Chris Vesper, at a HTPAA meeting, who had brought some in from overseas. As mentioned above, is great for your lathes but do not use on the table saw or bandsaw tables as it will leave black streaks on your timber. It is used to protect the table surfaces when not in use for long periods of time.

(It was the Christmas Holidays for the High School machinery and didn't it nearly wreck the first Year 12 Major Project passed over the table saw at the end of January! We went through half a newspaper cleaning the table but I never had to use the G-15 for at least the next five years of use/abuse of the saw as the G-15 was still protecting it, despite evaporative air conditioning, also known as swampys due the amount of moisture they would put into the air!)