PDA

View Full Version : Round leg outside calipers

artful bodger
15th August 2018, 08:13 PM
I have been meaning to put a thread up on here about the benefits of round leg outside calipers for a while, just have not got round to it yet.
Anyway I have been expanding my collection of these as I use outside calipers on a weekly (often daily) basis.
At the moment there is a nice pair of seven inch ones (which I already have) for auction on US ebay at a good price.
Just putting it out there. I am not selling them and have no idea of the person who is.
If a woodturner here is actually looking for a pair of good calipers these look like good uns.
I would urge anyone to only bid if actually interested, no point starting a bidding war on my say so.
Have put up a link in the ebay section of this forum.

Colin62
15th August 2018, 08:31 PM
I like to have a few pairs so that I can keep track of different dimensions without having to change settings all the time.

artful bodger
15th August 2018, 08:36 PM
Yep know where you are coming from Colin, I've got about 7 pairs for difficult jobs.

hughie
22nd August 2018, 03:51 PM
I have a reasonable collection of calipers both external and internal, some I have bought some I have made. These days I make all my own as needed and only buy if I get lazy.

artful bodger
22nd August 2018, 09:00 PM
Seems like no one bid on those ebay ones, never mind.
Anyway, here are the calipers that are hanging near my lathe.
441051 The four on the left are round leg ones, also have a recent purchase in the post to add to the collection.
Here is a picture of a similar sized round leg and square/oblong sectioned caliper.
441052I find the round leg ones noticeably superior to use (on spinning work) as they seem more rigid and less likely to catch. Also when you look at the side view (pic below) you can see the adjuster screw goes right through the middle of the caliper compared to the square leg one. This reduces the chance of a hang-up with the adjuster screw on a larger diameter when turning a smaller one. So if you are thinking of getting a pair of calipers I would recommend the round leg type.
The larger square leg ones can be pretty dicey to use on spinning work especially really soft woods. This one got a bit mangled up on a bit of Kalantis....
Got a few friction type outside calipers which are more suitable for measuring stationary diameters that I seldom use plus a pair of homemade bowl thickness calipers which are handy and do get used for larger bowls.
Then of course there are the inside calipers for measuring internal diameters. I do not use these much in my work except perhaps for the sliding set on the trammels which incidentally are adjustable into outside calipers as well. Also the ends being removable and replaceable with pointy ends to turn them into a big pair of dividers (compass).
The dividers can wait for another time.

Colin62
23rd August 2018, 07:16 AM
That’s a good collection you have there.

I see what you mean about the round profile - those look really good. I’m going to have to up my game, and start looking for some of those.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd August 2018, 12:34 PM
I'm envious. :)

All too often it feels like no matter size(s) what I'm turning, none of my calipers are suitably sized.

And that sliding sent on the trammel? Want!

artful bodger
23rd August 2018, 07:45 PM

All too often it feels like no matter size(s) what I'm turning, none of my calipers are suitably sized.

Trammels are really good. For marking out larger circles, segments of circles and just for marking out a very accurate 90 degree cross on a bit of mdf etc for layout purposes they are a must. Extra bonus if you can find/make yourself a set with the inside/outside caliper legs on them.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th August 2018, 11:55 AM
Trammels are really good. For marking out larger circles, segments of circles and just for marking out a very accurate 90 degree cross on a bit of mdf etc for layout purposes they are a must. Extra bonus if you can find/make yourself a set with the inside/outside caliper legs on them.

I've made & used many one-off trammels for laying out flatwork and drilling dowel holes at consistent distances, etc..

For some reason I've never thought about making a set with calipers... as soon as I saw yours it was a lightbulb moment! All I'd need is to make an extra tip to hold brass bushes for drill guides, similar to a tap'n'die set.

I doubt I'll find a similar trammel set for sale easily; I wonder if there's a tame engineer with time on their hands around here? :think:

hughie
26th August 2018, 01:57 PM

That is so true, I have sorta given up unless its absolutely necessary