PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL 240 lathe

brian wallace
2nd October 2018, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone, I want to buy a Vicmarc VL 240 lathe. My problem is that after delivery I have to move it manually 20 meters over uneven ground. Is this feasible? Anybody got any ideas?

verawood
2nd October 2018, 10:33 PM
Gday Brian

Assuming you don't want to hire a machine.
What packaging will it be delivered in. I had a bandsaw delivered on a pallet with 90x45 surrounding frame, so manageable for 2 to move before unpacking.
If it is in solid packing go the way of the ancients and slide it on a couple of planks, moving the planks from behind to front as required.
You will need some mates to help, and probably a block and tackle type pulley system to move that weight. You may have to do some leveling or chocking up the rails also.
A 4wd with winch might help if there's access.
Good luck
Keith
PS: I'm busy that day (lol):roll:

Old Croc
2nd October 2018, 11:36 PM
Brian, find a local bloke with a Bobcat with forks and get him to move it into place, usually about $90 to do it. I got my bloke to put a 1 tonne Milling machine all the way through my house and yard into my shed. Just use a ratchet strap to lock it to the bobcat. Best money you can spend.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Paul39
3rd October 2018, 12:34 AM
What Old Croc said. If you are frugal (cheap) like myself, get 4 pieces of 2 X 6 inch timber, 8 - 12 feet long and 3 pieces of 2 or 3 inch pipe one foot longer than the box or pallet is wide. If the box or pallet does not have a long running surface put a couple of pieces of timber on the bottom. Then do as # 2 says above, rolling on the pipes, keeping two under all the time.

See: https://youtu.be/co7vGKzU4PM One of these is handy if you are going up or down anything steep:

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/36af1efe-ca5e-47b4-af65-873b04e6c534/svn/big-red-engine-hoists-stands-tr8021-64_1000.jpg

turnerted
3rd October 2018, 05:28 PM
Brian
I went through this when I purchased my VL 240 about 2 years ago .
The lathe comes mounted on a pallet and the delivery driver should deliver it as close as he can get with a pallet trolly.I bought a sheet of ply about 10mm thick and cut it in half lengthwise for crossing the grass . I hired an engine lifting hoist and a scissor lift platform and had two fellow formites to help.
I put a padded wire sling round the lathe bed and unbolted the lathe from its stand then lifted it clear of the stand with the engine hoist .Two of us then moved the stand into the workshop .One helper needs to steady the lathe when the stand is removed as it is one end heavy .The lathe was then lowered onto the scissor lift platform and trundled across the grass alternating the sheets of ply as we went . In my case I had to lift the lathe on the platform to get it up the step into my workshop . Then we then used a couple of pipe rollers to get it near its location then used the engine hoist to lift the lathe onto it's stand .After bolting the lathe back on it's stand , I marked the location for the hold down bolts then used a car jack to lift each end of the lathe while drilling the holes .
The whole move probably took less than 30 minutes and little effort, the slowest part was hanging round waiting for the engine hoist to be delivered .Somwhere on this site there are pictures of the move .
Ted

turnerted
3rd October 2018, 05:44 PM
Brian
I just found the posting on moving my lathe . I don't know how to do the link thing .but its called " out with the old an in with the new " 22-11-14 , so its four years ago not two , how time flies .
Ted

Treecycle
3rd October 2018, 10:47 PM
Is this (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/out-with-the-old-and-in-with-the-new-190257) the one?

brian wallace
4th October 2018, 02:03 PM
THANK YOU to all for your advice. I now know it can be done. Still a bit daunted though!

turnerted
4th October 2018, 04:46 PM
Treecycle
Yep thats the link
Ted

Colin62
4th October 2018, 06:56 PM
Still a bit daunted though!
My golden rule for doing a job like that is to remind myself (and any helpers) that if it starts falling, step back and let it go rather than try to catch it and get caught under it.