PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning advice

Mountain Ash
9th October 2018, 04:45 PM
Hello to all. I have just joined and am looking for recommendations of woodturners on YouTube

JOHN MEMBREY
9th October 2018, 05:12 PM
You could try The wyoming Wood Turner or Alan Stratton

tony_A
9th October 2018, 07:48 PM
Couple of my favourites.
Anything by Alan and Stuart Batty. Alan is a master with the skew while Stuart's videos are more on bowl turning.
Robo Hippy (Reed Gray) has a number of good videos.
All the above are/have been professional turners. There are lots of bad vid's out there by amateurs that risk teaching you bad habits.

Tony

Gary H
9th October 2018, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the crazy world of woodturning - it's a great hobby and this forum is the ideal place to raise any queries or seek advice. As stated above, there are some really good videos but also some really bad (and sometimes downright dangerous) ones. Have you checked out the Knox District Woodies at nearby Ferntree Gully? They have woodturning on Monday mornings and Tuesday nights, so could be worth a visit.

Cheers, Gary H

Mountain Ash
9th October 2018, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys, that was quick. Appreciate the need to not pick up bad habits. I have been impressed by Steve Jones and his work with the skew but found him hard to copy (perhaps that's why he has a disclaimer at the start)

DAL1957
10th October 2018, 09:41 PM
I've found a couple of UK turners I regularly look in on with YouTube, and both are pretty good at posting some good basic beginner projects. They are Mike Waldt and Martin Sabine Smith. I have managed to pick up quite a few tips from them. Worth the look.

NCPaladin
12th October 2018, 04:29 PM
What are you looking for in particular?
There are videos on most everything. Basics? Spindle Turning? Bowl (face) turning? specific tools? project ideas?

brainstrust
12th October 2018, 11:03 PM
just type in wood and find what works for you. Learning is the most important first up so put up with those idiots out there!

Mountain Ash
14th October 2018, 07:58 AM
All of the above. Really enjoy spindle turning and have a brief go at one bowl. Freehand sharpening will help too

NCPaladin
14th October 2018, 01:30 PM
Stuart Batty was mentioned before; here is a link to his videos on Vimeo and most are 10-15 minutes. He covers most of the fundamentals and does not show any "projects" or specific tools in this series. https://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos/sort:alphabetical/format:thumbnail

There some who cover tool use and presentation; some just spindle, some spindle and face, and there are others for just facework.
A few of them are Brian Havens, John Lucas, Lyle Jamieson (bowls), Carl Jacobson.
Many "project" videos are good but do not explain... just show and item being turned.

Capn' Eddie has a lot with how to such as making your own grinding jig for about $2.

This site may help, it list videos so you can look up specific tools, turners, projects, etc. Click on "videos" for a drop down. These are not rated as to safety or usefulness. For example there may be 8 on making whistles, some very good, some Ok, some not so much.
Wood working projects, articles, community and vendors for the lathe (http://www.woodturningonline.com/)
If you click on "all channels" it list by subscriber count.

Mountain Ash
14th October 2018, 02:31 PM
Thanks NCP. Love cap'n eddy

Woodcrafts_UK
15th October 2018, 08:54 PM
I appreciate your post was asking for recommendations of videos but may I suggest the best thing you can do if you are new to woodturning is to have a couple of days instruction from a professional woodturner. They will show you good practises, how to use your lathe and tools correctly, and a host of other things, which will all help you identify good and bad videos.

Mountain Ash
16th October 2018, 06:11 AM
Thanks from such a long way away! Like many I'm time poor and it's easier to catch 10 mins here or there. Would love to get involved with a group/club at some point.

dr4g0nfly
16th October 2018, 06:41 AM
Thanks guys, that was quick. Appreciate the need to not pick up bad habits. I have been impressed by Steve Jones and his work with the skew but found him hard to copy (perhaps that's why he has a disclaimer at the start)

Steve is an 8th generation woodturner, he was taught by his father and grandfather, and he's been turning professionally for over 35 years.
Don't be discouraged if you can't turn like him, very few can.

Mountain Ash
16th October 2018, 12:49 PM
Umm, wow. No wonder! Thanks for the tip Mr Dragonfly

DaveTTC
16th October 2018, 01:02 PM
I quite like Richard Raffin as well as those mentioned above.

Personally I like to use a jig when sharpening but Richard had a free hand technique he uses which I quote like and was able to use ad well. Not sure what of his is available on YouTube, I have some DVDs and have been to a workshop.

Deep don't where you are I have a woodworking weekend on the Australia Day weekend on the edge of Horsham Victoria. There are demos and hands on teaching that have always been a part of my GTG's .

I have not started a thread for the next one yet but will post a link to my old one soon. If you follow that and are I interested you'll get a notification of the next event on that thread.

Edit: here is the link
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewoodworkforums%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D218153&share_tid=218153&share_fid=10646&share_type=t

Watcha Dooen in Dooen 2018 ... Australia Day Weekend

DaveTTC
The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood Into Art

Mountain Ash
16th October 2018, 04:18 PM
Thanks Dave. Richard Raffin is pretty amazing