PDA

View Full Version : Nova Comet 1 motor pulley

stevos27
3rd November 2018, 09:03 PM
Hi All,

I have been a forum member for a while however this is my first post. I have been woodworking for some time but have decided to finally try my hand at wood turning.

A few years ago I picked up an old Nova Comet 1 midi lathe (old model not the current variable speed type) that was missing the motor and the motor pulley. I have searched around (and contacted teknatool) but cannot find a replacement motor pulley. The spindle pulley is a poly v type (takes 406J4 belt) and has 6 steps with the following diameters(mm): 32, 42, 55, 63, 72, 76.

It would appear that similar lathes by other makers had similar components and there are replacement motor pulleys for sale for the Jet 1220 midi lathe however there are no details of the part specifics (i.e. internal diameter, and step diameters).

So my questions are:
does anyone know the dimensions of the jet 1220 motor pulley?
does anyone know where I could source an alternative replacement pulley?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

KBs PensNmore
3rd November 2018, 11:31 PM
Hi Matt,
Welcome to a TOP FORUM.
Try Trend Timbers - Your One Stop Woodworking Supply Shop (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/jet-tools.php), or seeing you're in Adelaide, try Leda Machinery at Plympton, as some lathes are made in the same factory. If you have no luck, let me know as I think I have a Nova Comet, stored in a cupboard somewhere!!!!! Not sure what the model is??? Will look for it tomorrow before another lathe gets shifted in front of it. Will be going down on the 17th and may be able to get one machined for you through a fellow forumite. The one I have, has the motor shot.
Where in Adelaide are you, as I'll be going to several places from Malvern to Beaulah Park to Pooraka???
Kryn

stevos27
4th November 2018, 09:40 AM
Hi Kryn,

I am in Kensington Gardens. I will give Leda a call during the week.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty excited to get the lathe going, I haven't turned anything since high school (20 years ago) but would really like to use it to add details to my other woodworking, which is mostly furniture, such as drawer knobs as well as replacement handles for chisels and maybe try pen turning.

Cheers,
Matt

KBs PensNmore
5th November 2018, 05:49 PM
Hi Matt, Sorry but the lathe I have is a variable speed unit, with a single M? pulley. A no name brand. I'll contact my friend at BP and see if he's able to help you if you can't get a pulley. He should be able to reverse engineer it for you, that is from the details you have and motor speed, he should be able to come up with something close to the speeds required. Do you mind if I forward your thread onto him, he may contact you direct then.
Kryn

stevos27
5th November 2018, 07:47 PM
thanks for checking Kryn.

Yes, if you could fwd my thread to your friend that would be great.

Cheers,
Matt