PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624-44-2 Lathe (or similar)

derekcohen
14th November 2018, 02:50 AM
I am considering a Nova 1624-44-2 from Carbatec. It's a step up from my Jet mini (with bed extension), which has been used primarily for chair and table legs and spindles, which I have used for about 10 years. The Jet is underpowered (at 1/2 hp) for long lengths, especially the hardwood I work. I also have a yen to turn bowls, and the outboard feature of the Nova seems ideal in this regard. However it will need a bed extension for spindle work.

Now I really do not know too much about lathes, and want to know whether I would regret getting one without variable speed. Also, is there a better alternative to this Nova? This is the price range I can manage.

I am very happy to look at second hand. However I have been watching the local Gum Tree for quite a while and have not seen anything comparable. And unhappily, no Vicmarcs in my price range :(

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

d5k
14th November 2018, 08:01 AM
Hi Derek, you will definitely regret not getting variable speed. Regards David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtyuiop
14th November 2018, 08:21 AM
Another confirmation here that variable speed is a must-have.

The only other thought is that if you're working on particularly tough hardwoods, set aside some funding for a few good scrapers, possibly including a dedicated sheer scraper. Assuming you don't already have them!

Danny

hughie
14th November 2018, 10:48 AM
I am considering a Nova 1624-44-2 from Carbatec. It's a step up from my Jet mini (with bed extension), which has been used primarily for chair and table legs and spindles, which I have used for about 10 years. The Jet is underpowered (at 1/2 hp) for long lengths, especially the hardwood I work. I also have a yen to turn bowls, and the outboard feature of the Nova seems ideal in this regard. However it will need a bed extension for spindle work.

Now I really do not know too much about lathes, and want to know whether I would regret getting one without variable speed. Also, is there a better alternative to this Nova? This is the price range I can manage.

I am very happy to look at second hand. However I have been watching the local Gum Tree for quite a while and have not seen anything comparable. And unhappily, no Vicmarcs in my price range :(

Your thoughts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, Second Vicmarcs area a game of time and patience. :U But there several other good brands around for you to consider ie Woodfast, Stubby etc and sometimes you have to travel a bit to get what you want. Another aspect is to try your local woodies club as often a member might have a lathe for sale.
Electronic variable speed drives arent a must but they are very good too own and will increase the flexibility of the lathe. I make it a point to have at least one lathe with this fitted and all I do is bowls and hollow vessels. Retrofitting is not as difficult as some would have as there is a heap of info on the Net how to go about it. A further option along these lines is look around for a second-hand lathe that has 3 phase. Generally, because of the 3 phase they wont sell for as much and the difference in price would easily fund a variable speed drive.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyco-Machine-Tools-Wood-lathe-3-phase-ADELAIDE/122630962186?hash=item1c8d5ffc0a:g:Sl4AAOSwhURZhAJi:rk:8:pf:0

Ok this one is in SA but you get the idea, some of the older lathes are ex-school lathes. Old school cast iron solid lathes all in good condition although crappy paint usually.

At the end of the day if you dont mind the age factor or the brand etc you will get a really solid lathe for much less than a new one. The conversion to a VSD or VFD single to 3 Phase you will benefit with improved torque and power consumption. But keep the stepped pulley system as it will offset any torque losses at low rpms. I have converted a couple old lathes over and will be looking at doing a third one over Christmas and if I can do it anybody can. But still, if its a bit daunting there are several electrical type forum members who may well live on your side that, if not they will chime in with help, as I m in Sydney and thats about as far away as I can get from you.:biggrin2:

Optimark
14th November 2018, 11:18 AM
Definitely get something with variable speed, try and get something with as wide a range of speeds as possible. I do not know anyone with a lathe bigger than any mini lathe, who regrets moving to a variable speed lathe.

Really heavy unbalanced blanks can sometimes require starting speeds in the 100rpm to 150rpm range, rarely much lower. The Nova 1624-44 has a low speed of 178rpm, which for heavy stuff, is just low enough for this lathe from my experience.

I have a fully optioned up Nova 1624-44 manual speed change lathe with all of the fruit, meaning I have the bed extension and the outboard rigger for larger bowl turning. For what it is, it is a very good lathe. But, it really is a bit of a lightweight lathe, especially with those steel legs, as opposed to the heavier version with the cast iron legs now available.

The power of my lathe is also on the low side (1120W) for heavy stuff.

Knowing your work and how you go about things from your various posts on this forum, plus how you select machinery, I would suggest you may be frustrated sooner rather than later.

That Nova lathe also has a slight issue in Australia in that the spindle thread is 1¼” by 8, it is certainly in the minority for accessories, as I found out.

Spindle threads are interesting, if you look at the Vicmarc site at any lathe they sell, you will see that the UK, Europe and the USA all have M33 x 3.5, the USA also has 1¼” x 8. Australia for some reason uses the smallest headstock spindle of M30 x 3.5.

Currently, some machines coming in from overseas, Record, Axminster, to name two, are coming in with the M33 x 3.5 spindle thread. Just some food for thought. Almost everything else coming in to Australia has a spindle thread of M30 x 3.5.

If you wish to reverse your lathe and there are some good valid reasons for doing so, then the only safe option is to lock your chuck or faceplate. To the best of my knowledge, only Vicmarc offer this as a standard on all of their current lathes. I’ve used this feature and it works a charm and certainly gives peace of mind.
https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=183&virtuemart_category_id=21&Itemid=528

Vicmarc chucks and chuck inserts all have this matching collar ring, as seen here.
https://vicmarc.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=97&virtuemart_category_id=14&Itemid=526

In your situation I would be looking at a second hand Vicmarc, Stubby, Woodfast, being in Western Australia does limit you a bit, but I’m sure something will come up.

In the meantime, check out this video, the top video on the page, it goes for about 16 minutes, but it should give you an idea of what is around and what some lathes can do. I've bought it's big brother.

https://www.gregmach.com/product/laguna-lathe-revo-1836/

My first thought when I read your post was that this lathe can do everything you wish as easy as anything. Like the Stubby lathe, you can place the bed extension on the front (where you normally stand), slide the head stock up and turn the rear of the bowl without taking it off. For ease of bowl turning, place the bed extension at the end in the lower position, slide the headstock up and stand straight on to turn your bowl.

Mick.

volvo
14th November 2018, 12:45 PM
Hello derekcohen, Take a look at the Record power Coronet Herald. We bought 2 lathes from Timbecon and are very impressed. The variable speed looks better than many cheaper units { Chinese ??} The specs can be found on the Record Power.com. Definitely worth looking at volvo

Colin62
14th November 2018, 07:54 PM
I’ll throw my two cents in on the subject of variable speed - it’s a bit like having an aircon in a car twenty years ago, in that if you’ve never had it you don’t miss it that much, but you’re still aware that it’s available and that it would be making your life easier if you had it. And in a few years time you’ll be changing lathes again (or modifying) to get it.

Neither of my lathes have it, and my next lathe will - if it doesn’t, I’ll be adding it.

derekcohen
15th November 2018, 03:23 AM
Thanks for all the comments so far. Looking at the possibility for variable speed, the other option is the Nova DVR Saturn. Clearly dearer, but certainly a step up from the 1624-44-2 in all respects. Any users here?

Regards from Perth

Derek