PDA

View Full Version : Mcjing woodturning tools

Redbeard
2nd December 2018, 08:34 PM
So, what's the deal with the Mcjing woodturning tools? Gouges, skews, parting tools, in fact, just about everything you could ask for. Apparently.

Ok, it's all un-handled, not a problem. The prices are seemingly good, the range is good, so what about the quality? Are they Sorby's without the brand name or are they high grade plasticine?

Anyone with any experience with these puppies? Or is everyone circling, waiting for someone else to be first?

Cheers
Redbeard

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Uncle Al
2nd December 2018, 09:37 PM
Lots of people in our wood club have bought and used these tools. They hold an edge well and are very good value for money. Not sure how you could do a search on this forum on these tools, but I have seen numerous good reports here. Probably have a look through the 'woodturning' sub forum.

Happy turning,

Alan...

Redbeard
2nd December 2018, 09:41 PM
Thanks Al, appreciate the response. I'd tried a search but it seemed to only turn up discussions about their more esoteric butts and pieces. I'll give it another go.

Cheers

orraloon
2nd December 2018, 11:13 PM
I have a couple of gouges and they sharpen and hold an edge as well as any other HSS tools I have. Over the years I have got a few things at Mcjings and everything has worked as it should. Wish there were more tool stores like it.
Regards
John

steck
3rd December 2018, 12:59 PM
I have used quite a few McJing turning gouges. My original set was all theirs. I found that they keep a pretty good edge and last well. I consider them excellent value.

Gary H
3rd December 2018, 01:10 PM
No problems at all with McJing tools. They have supplied me with tools from a tiny parting chisel to a big thumpin' roughing gouge, and all keep a good edge even bouncing them off Coolibah burls. And their service is great - send an order and watch how quickly it arrives. No connection with them other than as a happy customer of Mr Mac.

Cheers, Gary H

Toymaker Len
3rd December 2018, 01:10 PM
I bought six or eight carving tools a few years ago (no handle). Amazing value but I did re-temper them after the first shaping and sharpening. McJing are well worth a visit if you are passing Yagoona way they have a veritable Alladins cave of tools and bits.

Fumbler
3rd December 2018, 04:08 PM
I too have bought several gouges unhandled from Mcjings. They are good quality, and all be it the 3/8" I bought to put a fingernail grind on was $32, I wanted my own spin on the handle. Yet Timberbits had a Hamlet already ground to the profile for $41. Hamlet are reputable and possibly I should've gone that way for the sake of an hour regrinding. But as I said I like my on spin on my handles

446400 446401

All pictured are from McJings.

Redbeard
3rd December 2018, 04:13 PM
I too have bought several gouges unhandled from Mcjings. They are good quality, and all be it the 3/8" I bought to put a fingernail grind on was $32, I wanted my own spin on the handle. Yet Timberbits had a Hamlet already ground to the profile for $41. Hamlet are reputable and possibly I should've gone that way for the sake of an hour regrinding. But as I said I like my on spin on my handles

446400 446401

All pictured are from McJings.Your own "spin" you say? Very nice, very nice indeed.

orraloon
4th December 2018, 03:55 PM
There is something very satisfying about doing your own handles. Kind of justifies having the lathe.
Regards
John

Fumbler
4th December 2018, 05:14 PM
Your own "spin" you say? Very nice, very nice indeed.

Thank very much.

Fumbler
4th December 2018, 05:14 PM
There is something very satisfying about doing your own handles. Kind of justifies having the lathe.
Regards
John

Totally agreed

Redbeard
4th December 2018, 08:58 PM
What's the point of having a lathe if you don't make your own tools? Then you can show the missus just how much you're saving by not buying all those handles...

But seriously, thanks fellers for all your feedback, you've settled my mind on the source for my tools. Now, what's the credit card balance like...

Cheers
Redbeard

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk