PDA

View Full Version : Textured Blue piece

Dalboy
14th December 2018, 04:56 AM
I really need a name for this one.

This piece is based on work of Mark Sanger. And not from the recent article in the magazine as I had already started before it came out.

Not really got a name yet but sure it will come. Turned from a piece of quite plain Walnut. Texture applied with a power carver and the blue is an interference blue paint over black ebonising spray. The copper is a metallic spray paint.
Measures 4 1/4" X 3 3/4"

powderpost
14th December 2018, 11:23 AM
Nice combination, good to play experiment with bland timbers..... :2tsup:

Jim

crowie
14th December 2018, 08:02 PM
You’ve done well Derek.

brainstrust
14th December 2018, 08:12 PM
Very interesting, how about The Black Forrest cup, bowl, incense burner.....

tony_A
14th December 2018, 09:13 PM
Quite a striking piece Derek, the shape, the colour and the texture all work together. You've gotta be happy with the way it turned out.

Tony

Dalboy
15th December 2018, 12:15 AM
Thank you all.

It has now been given a name "Crucible"

This is another for the club competition that we have every month always seem to come around so fast and most times I leave it until the last minute and it is those pieces that I find get the first place:B

Keith_1
1st January 2019, 03:24 PM
Always love your work and craftsmanship:2tsup:

Regards

Keith

Dalboy
2nd January 2019, 06:57 AM
Thank you Keith. I need to make something for the weekend at our club meeting competition so only 4 days to start and decorate as it is in the Enhanced section

artful bodger
4th January 2019, 07:13 PM
It would be nice in my opinion if there was just a little hint somewhere on the piece to let the viewer know that it is made from timber.
Otherwise it might as well be made from re-cycled plastic or paper mache...mash eh?.

Dalboy
4th January 2019, 08:22 PM
It would be nice in my opinion if there was just a little hint somewhere on the piece to let the viewer know that it is made from timber.
Otherwise it might as well be made from re-cycled plastic or paper mache...mash eh?.

Even thought you can not see it the bottom is left as plain wood so anyone looking at it and picks it up can see the original wood underneath. When I first started I did cover every part so now leave at least something of the wood showing even if it is only the bottom.