PDA

View Full Version : Rose Sheoak Bowl

dai sensei
15th October 2005, 08:41 PM
Decided to try and turn some more of that sheoak from my neighbours yard. What I found interesting, was that when I was finishing the polishing (with Shellawax, EEE then Shellawax Glow), the hotter the wax got the redder the sheoak went. So I turned up the speed and almost cooked it. As you can see, it certainly is a beautiful red, hopefully it will stay that way.

Cheers

Wood Butcher
15th October 2005, 08:52 PM
Certainly got it right about the beautiful red. Fantastic work Neil.

Going to do a demo for us at the BBQ???

Auld Bassoon
15th October 2005, 09:00 PM
Beauty Neil!

Lovely colour - as you say, one hopes that it stays that way

Cheers!

Mike Jefferys.
16th October 2005, 06:21 PM
Which Shellawax? I find the black lid "Hard" Shellawax instead of the older formulation is relatively speaking more light fast and considerably tougher in the finish and it retains its gloss better which is what the label promises. As to how long the wood will keep its colour you have to worry about two things I know of, some woods darken rapidly (andaman padauk for e.g.) and some finishes particularly some oils go yellow and look pretty bad in time.

Mike

Baz
16th October 2005, 08:14 PM
Mike, I think you are getting confused between Shellawax and Shellac, the black label is Hard Shellac, the Shellawax is finishing polish. For more info check the Ubeaut Products listing on the home page.
Cheers
Barry

rsser
17th October 2005, 09:43 AM
Regrettably the UV is going to change the bowl to a duller brown.

Keep it in a cupboard and just bring it out to impress the rellies ;-}

dai sensei
18th October 2005, 08:51 PM
Regrettably the UV is going to change the bowl to a duller brown.

Unfortunately you are perfectly correct Ern, it's already lost that bright red, now just a reddish tinge and no doubt on the way to the brown.

reeves
26th October 2005, 10:09 AM
Decided to try and turn some more of that sheoak from my neighbours yard. What I found interesting, was that when I was finishing the polishing (with Shellawax, EEE then Shellawax Glow), the hotter the wax got the redder the sheoak went. So I turned up the speed and almost cooked it. As you can see, it certainly is a beautiful red, hopefully it will stay that way.

Cheers

mm maybe it will, Sheoak i have used tends to darken fairly quickly, making less contrast