PDA

View Full Version : Oh, that's why...

surfdabbler
24th December 2018, 01:57 PM
They say you should keep your tool rest close to the turning surface. Now I see why...

To be fair, I was working in a big valley, right next to the chuck, and probably couldn't have really got much closer anyway, but still. Fortunately I had a good grip on it, and nobody got hurt - except the chisel. I was working on a segmented piece, and kind of lucky that I had a band clamp on it. I think that kind of dig-in could have thrown some pieces off otherwise.

Be careful and stay safe everyone!

Gary H
24th December 2018, 02:37 PM
Now used for hollowing? Thanks for the timely reminder.

Cheers, Gary H

Old Croc
24th December 2018, 11:38 PM
Is that a good piece of Chiniseum or a name brand?
Rgds
Crocy.

surfdabbler
25th December 2018, 09:24 PM
Is that a good piece of Chiniseum or a name brand?

I actually don't know what it is. I inherited a bunch of turning chisels (with lathe included). There seems to be a set of ten or so Marples, and then a batch of non-branded ones. Some of the non-branded ones look very decent, some have home-made handles, and this one is probably the lest impressive looking of the batch. It was cutting really nicely before the incident though. I was just thinking "Hmm, I should use this one more often."

I will probably just thump it straight again unless someone tells me that's a really bad idea for whatever reason.

BobL
26th December 2018, 09:18 AM
I actually don't know what it is. I inherited a bunch of turning chisels (with lathe included). There seems to be a set of ten or so Marples, and then a batch of non-branded ones. Some of the non-branded ones look very decent, some have home-made handles, and this one is probably the lest impressive looking of the batch. It was cutting really nicely before the incident though. I was just thinking "Hmm, I should use this one more often."

I will probably just thump it straight again unless someone tells me that's a really bad idea for whatever reason.

Humm, . . . . suggest not - the bend may have stressed it and bending it back may just add to the stress, next time it catches instead of bending it might juts break,