PDA

View Full Version : What is my Vicmark VL175 worth, looking at selling.

woodhooker
27th December 2018, 08:29 PM
Can anyone give me some idea of what my Vicmark VL175 variable speed lathe is worth to sell. I’m an amateur turner only making pens and would like a smaller lathe. This is a fantastic lathe, had it for 8 years and comes with original stand, outboard turning rest, 2 chucks, spanner, knock out bar and other accessories. I have been told by experienced turners that it is a turners dream to own one of these. Any advice would be much appreciated.

woodhooker
27th December 2018, 09:21 PM
Hi there, I have uploaded photo on my thread. Thanks Smiife.

Paul39
28th December 2018, 01:51 AM
Woodhooker,

Unless you desperately need the space, keep what you have. Don't trade a Mercedes for a Holden Camira. Before doing anything, try out a few smaller lathes and compare with the Vicmark

ian
28th December 2018, 06:32 AM
Woodhooker
are you looking to sell that lathe, or do you need a value for insurance purposes.
If the latter, perhaps settle on the cost of an equivalent new lathe.

DomAU
28th December 2018, 08:16 AM
Woodhooker,

Unless you desperately need the space, keep what you have. Don't trade a Mercedes for a Holden Camira. Before doing anything, try out a few smaller lathes and compare with the Vicmark

Hurtfull :). I drove a Camira for 8 years and over 300,000km. Second best car I've had...and also the first of two haha. But jokes aside it was a great little car - except it required a steady stream of driveshafts, shocks and wheel bearings to keep it going...

Woodhooker,

I may be interested in buying your lathe if the price is right...but as that is the purpose of this post I guess we both don't know what that price is ;).

Cheers, Dom

Peter Z
28th December 2018, 08:35 AM
They are a very good lathe, have had mine for 14 years, at a minimum it is worth what you paid it.

pommyphil
28th December 2018, 10:40 AM
Can anyone give me some idea of what my Vicmark VL175 variable speed lathe is worth to sell. I’m an amateur turner only making pens and would like a smaller lathe. This is a fantastic lathe, had it for 8 years and comes with original stand, outboard turning rest, 2 chucks, spanner, knock out bar and other accessories. I have been told by experienced turners that it is a turners dream to own one of these. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I was wondering the same about mine the other day, maybe it's time to pass it on. I have a little GPW mini that gats lots of work and an old 175 if I need a bigger one.

The age is important as various improvements have happened over the years ie. reverse switch, bigger motor. Then optional extras like outboard turning.Then condition, Then what you throw in with it. Lots of variables.

But if you bought it used at the right price you should get close to what you paid. I think :wink:

NeilS
28th December 2018, 11:05 AM
Looks to be in very good condition. If you must let it go, wait to get a good price on it.

My rule of thumb when passing on equipment that is in almost unused condition is to total up the current purchase price and expect at least 50% of that. Anything above that is a bonus. Shipping always on the purchaser.

You will have no problem selling that lathe in that condition. How you go about selling it may determine how much you get for it.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Optimark
28th December 2018, 02:40 PM
I have purchased a new lathe this year. That particular version of Vicmarc lathe was certainly on my shopping list. Also, I have used that particular model of Vicmarc lathe a lot over the last 3-4 years.

If it has a motor brake; meaning the lathe stops spinning within a short time after you switch it off, then it is the last version of that model. The lathe should stop running around 4-5 seconds after you press the red button.

Looks to be in very good condition and has one of the most stable tool posts in wood lathes for a lathe of that size. The tool post diameter is 30mm as opposed to most of the rest at 25.4mm diameter. Certainly a very rigid tool post, that one.

I would suggest you probably will be very satisfied with a Vicmarc 150 lathe. It has the build quality of what you already have, but it is not cheap. I have used one and would love to have one, but already having purchased a new big lathe this year, that would start a divorce action.

Here is Richard Raffan using a Vicmarc 150 lathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIvROyV2n6w

As previously suggested, you could expect to get the price of the Vicmarc 150 for your Swivel head 175 Vicmarc. Having a swivel head puts that lathe a bit further up the pecking order of people wanting one.

I’ve used three swivel head lathes, the Vicmarc swivel head is the best of those by a good margin.

A direct replacement Vicmarc is not available, the closest is the VL240 short bed lathe. According to one local to us retailer, it is selling for $5,600.00. Halve that and you are looking at $2,800.00 allow a fudge factor of what you are selling being a bit smaller in turning capacity over the bed and certainly second hand you would probably be looking to move it along around $2,500.00 give or take.

Which just happens to be the cost of the Vicmarc 150 lathe, give or take. :D

Mick.

DomAU
28th December 2018, 04:17 PM
I would have thought the VL200 Long bed would be the most similar current model (but without the swivel head)? The EVS VL200 with stand is currently about $4100- new last I looked.

Cheers, Dom

ogato
28th December 2018, 05:57 PM
A good friend brought, then sold a VL175 earlier in the year - a little older than the one you have - well looked after but not as pristine as yours. The price - $2250. So, on that basis, I'd think you could be looking at $2500+.
Jeff

NeilS
28th December 2018, 06:26 PM
The EVS VL200 with stand is currently about $4100- new last I looked.

Maybe, but the VL175 is a swivel head lathe. It is more closely related to the VL240, albeit with less power and sturdiness.

woodhooker
29th December 2018, 11:16 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. This lathe does have reverse and also stops abubtly when the red button is pressed. I have made the hard decision to sell as I feel it is wasted in the shed doing not much at all and owe it to this beautiful lathe to pass it onto someone that would get a lot more use and use it to it’s full potential. My asking price is no less than $4000 that includes all accessories listed in original threat. Located Neerim South Vic. If I don’t get what I am asking, I’m happy to keep it.