PDA

View Full Version : Looking for comments, critiques & opinions on a new style for me

Fryers
16th January 2019, 12:01 PM
I've been exploring a different style of shallow bowls and platters and would appreciate any constructive comments & critiques.
The "underneath" view of one of the pieces would apply to all of them.

Cheers,

Fryers

brainstrust
16th January 2019, 12:45 PM
The top 4 are amazing :2tsup:
The round ones are nice grain and nice bowls but not near as striking as the top ones.
If I could make something like those top ones that would be my speciality, so unique and just damn awesome!

orraloon
16th January 2019, 01:41 PM
I agree those strait sided ones look great. The carved ones especially. The round ones are good too but everyone else does round platters.
Regards
John

Fryers
16th January 2019, 02:17 PM
Thank you kindly. It good to hear It isn't just my warped taste.
I found at my cost that keeping my fingers out of the way is rather important when I make these.
Fryers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2019, 02:17 PM
It may be just because I'm a wood-turner myself, but my first thought when seeing the round ones was "Oh no. More poorly hollowed beginners bowls."

I know, I know... but still... :shrug:

Of course, the reaction on first picking one up would be novel but people see these things more frequently than they handle them... and having one in our kitchen would begin to irritate me after a while. (Much like some of my friends cheese- and/or chopping-boards. My first thought? "I could make a nice bowl outta that." :- At least I can think it w/out verbalising now. SWMBO has pointy elbows.)

The others, though... awesome idea! They're visually appealing AND would have the wow factor when picked up.

Umm... I may have to try my hand at a few for myself!

Fryers
16th January 2019, 03:04 PM
Thanks for your comments.

Nubsnstubs
17th January 2019, 01:30 PM
I really like the 4th picture. It looks like a 5 sided tire............. Jerry (in Tucson)

NeilS
17th January 2019, 01:48 PM
The edged pieces get my vote.

I suggest you experiment further to refine your decorative treatment into your own individual style/vocabulary. eg. | Contemporary sculpture (http://benoitaverly.com/en/)

Yes, you have to keep your fingers behind the toolrest with winged pieces!

One of the unidentified woods looks very much like buloke to me.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

Fryers
17th January 2019, 03:15 PM
Thanks Neil & for the link... if it wasn't so hot, I'd be in the garage right now.
The Aus Buloke seems a likely possibility.
Cheers,

Fryers