PDA

View Full Version : Redgum turning again

Tiger
17th October 2005, 02:18 PM
Dear all,

In another recent thread, I was bemoaning using Redgum as it was having a strange effect on one of my tools. I also suspect that the chunk of Redgum that I was turning was too much for the drive dog (the part with the sharpish things that go on the headstock) on my lathe, even though it was about 80 mm diameter and about 250 mm long. My question is when to use the drive dog and what size of wood approximately would you have to use a chuck or something else to hold the wood at the tailstock end? My drive dog simply cuts a groove in the wood sometimes and therefore provides no holding whatsoever. Is it worthwhile sharpening the spurs?

Baz
17th October 2005, 08:29 PM
I think this topic was discussed before, are you making sure the drive spurs are driven into the timber maybe cut a cross on the end with the bandsaw so that the spurs will engage into the slots. Or you can put the timber upright on the floor, place the spur in the desired position and give it a good wack with a hammer.
You can use a chuck to turn square timber, if it is a bit too large in diameter use the spur drive and turn a spigot on the end then mount it in your chuck.
Cheers
Barry

Jim Carroll
17th October 2005, 08:34 PM
As barry says hit the spur drive into the timber for the spur drive to get a good purchase. Do not rely on the tailstock pressure to make a deep enough impression.

JDarvall
17th October 2005, 09:28 PM
Correct me if wrong. But isn't it important to wack that spur with a mallet over a hammer? A hammer may deform the taper over time. yes ? .....

Baz
17th October 2005, 09:45 PM
Apricot, I guess that it could burr over the end, my drive has a smaller nib on the end of the morse taper, besides that I don't have a mallet.
Cheers
Barry

Don Nethercott
17th October 2005, 10:53 PM
I've been turning some very hard timber (20 year old verandah posts) similar to redgum. I cut a cross in the end of the wood with a bandsaw, drill a small hole, then whack in the drive dog with a hammer (or mallet). It seems to hold OK.

Don

loz
18th October 2005, 01:58 AM
If it still doesn't hold, get a bigger hammer!!

barnsey
18th October 2005, 02:09 AM
OK guys if you don't have a mallet hit it with a soft faced hammer.

Hmm haven't got one of those either?????????

Hit with a lump of 4X2 - metal hammer face on metal morse taper is dangerous if not just butchery :eek: :eek: :eek:

The next job in the workshop is then to make yourself a mallet :rolleyes:

Baz has it right if the timber is one of our famous hardwoods, cut a cross in the drive end so the dog has a chance to bed fully. ;)

Jamie

JackoH
18th October 2005, 09:09 AM
besides that I don't have a mallet.
Cheers
Barry

Turn yourself one, out of red gum ;)

Tiger
18th October 2005, 11:20 AM
I always hammer the drive dog into the wood away from the lathe. I have turned a half a dozen mallets from different wood that I use around the workshop. I tried it again last night and even though the Redgum was hard the drive dog simply cut itself a nice groove so that the drive dog revolved but the timber just sat there.

JackoH
18th October 2005, 02:18 PM
Mount you wood between centres and turn a spigot on one end (taking very light cuts) Then mount it in your chuck supporting tother end with a live drive in the tailstock.

Baz
18th October 2005, 08:50 PM
Tiger what speed are you turning at, just a thought that if you are at a high speed the sudden (I presume your lathe doesn't have an electronic speed control) acceleration maybe tearing the end grain out. Do you have enough pressure on the tailstock? but not too much. Mental note to self, must make a mallet.
Cheers
Barry

Utuk_Xul
18th October 2005, 10:52 PM
Did you sharpen the drive spur? Some are dull and benefit by a little sharpening. Also, try easing up on the pressure of your cuts and see if that helps. Turn a piece of wood you can use as a mallet instead of using a hammer. It doesn't have to be fancy...just a cylinder with a part you can grip.

rsser
19th October 2005, 12:13 PM
Old redgum stumps make good mallet blanks.

But you can't turn one until .... :(