PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for hot item

Bodgy
17th October 2005, 02:54 PM
Saw a table lamp in a shop today, thought " Gee that's nice" immediately followed by "I could make that"

It's timber and glass - and obviously encloses a bulb, consequently will get a little warm, Timber will be Jarrah for the panels and Tallowood for the frame.

What glue will manage the heat and (presumably) the expansion and contraction best? Its a little delicate to use traditional joints.

I have PVA, Yellow PVA and Epoxy techniglue.

Alex dS
17th October 2005, 04:40 PM
G'day Bodgy

Is it a timber to timber bond you are talking about or a timber to glass bond?

Alex.

Bodgy
17th October 2005, 05:17 PM
G'day Bodgy

Is it a timber to timber bond you are talking about or a timber to glass bond?

Alex.

Both Alex, although the timber to glass will get the brunt of the heat from the bulb. The base (wood/wood) will only get convection not direct.

Stylesy
17th October 2005, 06:43 PM
Hi Bodgy,

How about a high heat-resistant silicone sealant? Selleys makes a clear 401 product which might hold the glass in the same way putty would. Only problem I can think of is the silicone possibly effecting the final finish you put on the timber.

Alex dS
18th October 2005, 08:56 AM
I reckon Stylesy is on a winner there Bodgy. You could try a silicone specifically for glass for a stronger bond. The silicone shouldn't effect the stain or the timber - might want to test it out on an off cut.

You could also try a polyurethane glue. They have good adhesion to glass and timber, high heat resistance and some flexibility. Something like Gorilla Glue or Durabond.
Alex.

soundman
19th October 2005, 12:12 AM
If its wood to wood and it isn't getting hot enough to be a problem to the timber pva or yellow pva should be fine.

Consider the fire risk, provide enough ventilation.

Silicon will handle heaps of heat, I've repaired theatre lantern lenses with it & stands up to 1000 wat halogen lamps at close range, but & don't think it's necessary here.

cheers

Bodgy
19th October 2005, 10:00 AM
Thank you Gentlemen. I'll try silicone for the glass/tallowood and yellow PVA for Jarrah/Tallowood (Cause I've got some)

I also will use a flourescent bulb for low heat radiation - and they seem to last 4 x as long.

Will post piccies when complete, if it not TOOOOOO embarrasing and I can hide the inevitable cock-ups.