PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Brisbane?

Regdop
16th February 2019, 02:19 PM
Hi Guys

I'm hoping there's someone here on the forum that will be able to give me some lessons? I am in Brisbane northern suburbs. I am a rotating 12 hour shift worker and because of my roster I am unable to commit to a regular day/night of the week, which rules out any clubs or men's shed. Ideally someone who is retired or can be flexible with their lesson times would be a good candidate?

I am prepared to travel... within reason, or you could come to me where I have a good range of tools and a Laguna 18/36 revo gathering dust! Not to mention a good supply of turning blanks. I am mostly interested in bowl and pen turning please. We can discuss remuneration at first contact.

Thank you for your consideration.
Gary

Regdop
18th February 2019, 08:28 PM
Am I wrong to ask? nearly 1000 views... Perhaps you might know someone that is not a forum member that might be interested... all help is greatly appreciated!

skot
18th February 2019, 08:51 PM
Regdop,

I recommend the Woodturners Society of Qld...They have their workshops at Greenslopes.

I did several courses and they were very useful.

The courses can run over 6- 7 weeks on Saturdays but I haven't been there for a few years so they may have changed days/evenings and length. I highly recommend them.

Rob Mckee is an excellent tutor.

Woodturners Society of QLD Inc. – Woodturning skills development (http://woodturnerssocietyqld.org.au/)

skot
18th February 2019, 09:10 PM
I know that you mentioned that you would prefer to avoid clubs and would like to contact a private person BUT in this day and age if you are a learner and do something that causes damage or injury, a private tutor may not have insurance whereas the Woodturner's Society would be covered.

Regdop
20th February 2019, 08:38 PM
I know that you mentioned that you would prefer to avoid clubs and would like to contact a private person BUT in this day and age if you are a learner and do something that causes damage or injury, a private tutor may not have insurance whereas the Woodturner's Society would be covered.

Please note it is NOT because I would prefer to avoid clubs, quite the opposite! Unfortunately clubs cant provide the flexibility I need due to my work roster. Truth be told I would prefer to join a club.