PDA

View Full Version : Some small turnings

Fumbler
23rd February 2019, 06:31 PM
Turner Ted got me thinking about some banksia pods I had, and my cousin when here, was going to buy a Xmas tree hanger for $19 from the markets. I went "don't you dare buy that, I'll make you one!". I don't mind buying things I can't make, so here it is.

Its about 50mm around the bell and 80mm high.

out of the left overs I managed to turn this little fragrant diffuser, and I mean little, it's 50mm in diameter and about 45mm high.

I also had a bubbly cork floating around so I threw it in the chuck and quickly turned it down, gave a light sand and she's apples.

both finished with mineral oil.

turnerted
24th February 2019, 05:26 PM
Well done .
It's interesting what can be made from banksia pods . I've got a collection of offcuts to use up .
Ted

Fumbler
24th February 2019, 05:35 PM
Well done .
It's interesting what can be made from banksia pods . I've got a collection of offcuts to use up .
Ted

Niw you know, scent pots and Aussie Xmas hangers!

brainstrust
27th February 2019, 09:12 PM
where do such big pods come from though!!?

Dalboy
28th February 2019, 03:53 AM
I like the little pot. Seeing these reminded me that I have three large nuts to turn at sometime but keep putting it off as they can be very fluffy in parts

Fumbler
28th February 2019, 04:20 AM
I like the little pot. Seeing these reminded me that I have three large nuts to turn at sometime but keep putting it off as they can be very fluffy in parts

Derek, not sure if you can get Big Banksia pods in the UK, so next time come over i'll throw a couple in the suitcase and post m when I get there. i'll see if I can get Turner Ted to set one in resin for you. im sure you'll be able to ork wonders with it.

Fumbler
28th February 2019, 04:25 AM

I picked mine up from the Sydney Working with Woodshow 2017, and as its coming up in Jun, let me know and I can grab you a few and pop in the post. Jun7/8/9, but been renamed this year, The Timber Tools and Artisan show. different format as run by new owners.

Dalboy
28th February 2019, 04:52 AM
Derek, not sure if you can get Big Banksia pods in the UK, so next time come over i'll throw a couple in the suitcase and post m when I get there. i'll see if I can get Turner Ted to set one in resin for you. im sure you'll be able to ork wonders with it.

Well large for here as they come in from you side of the world. Thank you for that kind offer

brainstrust
28th February 2019, 10:32 PM
I picked mine up from the Sydney Working with Woodshow 2017, and as its coming up in Jun, let me know and I can grab you a few and pop in the post. Jun7/8/9, but been renamed this year, The Timber Tools and Artisan show. different format as run by new owners.

That would be awesome if you could. I have gathered many smaller size but nothing that big. I'm good for the money so please any you get I'd have and pay for!!!!

dusteater
1st March 2019, 12:25 AM

There are parcels of Banksia Grandis up for grabs on the market place :2tsup: but maybe they are cheaper at the Sydney Show.