PDA

View Full Version : Cabatec WL-900 / H&F WL-18. Removing split pulleys

Arron
19th March 2019, 06:32 PM
Hi. I am trying to replace the split pulleys on a Hare and Forbes WL-18. Three halves came off easy, the last one won’t budge. Image shows which one.

Can anyone suggest how to get it off. I’ve tried tapping fairly lightly, but don’t want to hit it hard as these pulleys are made of cast mud.

Cheers
Arron

Redbeard
20th March 2019, 10:34 PM
That is the piece which moves along the shaft when you move the speed lever. Does yours move? If it doesn't slide you have a problem (but you may have worked that out already). The pully wheel and the carrier behind it are separate pieces but they are held together with circlips. You undo the bolt connecting the carrier piece to the push rod from the speed control and the carrier and pully wheel should slide straight off.

I had to smash the pully and use a bastardised gear puller to pull the pully remains and the carrier off from the shaft.

I wish I had photos to show you but you could try a couple of these videos.

https://youtu.be/acxU8ItTDUE
https://youtu.be/Dso7TwHZKAc

Good luck
Redbeard

bruceward51
21st March 2019, 08:14 AM
See if the speed change lever moved pls the cone up and down the shaft. I have had this apart on two lathes and if I remember correctly I removed the speed change mechanism completely and that allowed the whole thing to be removed. It was a bit fiddly getting it back together properly but allowed me to work out how it went together.

Arron
21st March 2019, 09:03 AM
Ok, thanks guys.
Looking at mine, there is a collar directly behind the pulley. It’s fixed to the speed control lever somehow (I can’t quite see the linkage). On this collar there is a bolt pointing straight downwards with a nut on it. At least it think it’s a bolt, it could just be the end of something threaded. I expect I should start by removing that nut, is that right ?

This is the nut

Redbeard
21st March 2019, 01:28 PM
Ok, thanks guys.
Looking at mine, there is a collar directly behind the pulley. It’s fixed to the speed control lever somehow (I can’t quite see the linkage). On this collar there is a bolt pointing straight downwards with a nut on it. At least it think it’s a bolt, it could just be the end of something threaded. I expect I should start by removing that nut, is that right ?

This is the nut

451115That's the bolt. It ties the collar (I call it a carrier) to the push rod from the speed control. It goes into a hole (or a groove, I can't remember) on the push rod. It's the only thing holding the whole mechanism in place on the shaft. There's a balancing spring at the opposite side of the carrier (at the top), just watch for that, it can give you a bit of a nasty pinch.

Once the bolt in question is removed, work the speed control lever back and forth and the push rod should come clear of the carrier, allowing it to spin on the shaft as well (after you disengage the spring).

If the pully hasn't seized onto the shaft it should slide off, you may need a bit of persuasion, keep it gentle.

Chris Parks
21st March 2019, 11:24 PM
Removing the shaft key with a pair of side cutters may make it easier to get off. Grab it near the outer end and lever it out, side cutters are the best tool for this as they bite into the key which is pretty soft.

Redbeard
21st March 2019, 11:30 PM
Removing the shaft key with a pair of side cutters may make it easier to get off. Grab it near the outer end and lever it out, side cutters are the best tool for this as they bite into the key which is pretty soft.If you can get the key out that will certainly help, but be careful, I bet if it gets bent it'll be a bugger to straighten.

Chris Parks
22nd March 2019, 02:30 PM
If you can get the key out that will certainly help, but be careful, I bet if it gets bent it'll be a bugger to straighten.

Side cutters are the best way to do it, ask anyone who has raced a kart for a hobby, I must have pulled out a thousand of them over the years that we raced. If you did damage it then either buy a new piece of key steel from a bearing or fastener supplier, file it to remove the damage or even shorten it with a hack saw if needed. I used to commonly just run the key over some wet and dry to remove any nicks or gouges if they occurred. BTW just because it is a set length does not mean it can't be a bit shorter or even two pieces or more.