PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL200 and VL240

DomAU
21st March 2019, 09:31 AM
Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying a wood lathe sometime in the next few months. I've never turned before, but I want to turn legs for chairs/stools/tables as well as tool handles amd similar. Obviously I won't rule out turning some bowls and wherever else it takes me.

I've learned my lesson to buy the last tool first and I don't like the thought of buying something that will only last a few years or be unserviceable in the future if things fail.

I'm thinking a Vicmarc VL200 long bed would be the go, however I was wondering if there is any disadvantage of the VL240 vs the VL200. From what I can see the VL240 with a swing tailstock extension or just an extension would do everything the VL200 does but with more mass, swivelling headstock and larger swing capacity. Is there anything the VL200 does better? For example, is the VL200 smoother due to some vibration introduced by the swivelling head of the VL240, or is a single piece bed also more rigid etc? Or is it just cost?

I note the VL200 EVS stand mount ranges between $4050 and $4950- vs about $4500 for the VL240 bench mount with an additional $500 for the extension - so price is comparable (I'm more than happy, maybe even prefer, to build a cabinet / stand).

Also, is a Laguna Revo 18-36 at around $4000- a good alternative to these lathes? Or a class below in some real way?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Dom

Chief Tiff
21st March 2019, 10:14 AM
I would first look at joining your nearest guild, club or mens shed and trying out their equipment under supervision. Turning is a skill that has to be learned and without trying to sound like a pessimist, some never will or simply don’t get on with it. $4k+ is a lot of money to gamble with. You can watch as many videos on turning as you like but they’re no substitute for someone standing with you and showing you exactly how to present the tool to the wood. There’s a chance they’ll have both lathes there as well so you try each one first hand and make a more informed purchasing choice.

And buy and use a full face shield! Some timbers are sentient and deliberately try to throw themselves at that spot right between your eyes....

DomAU
21st March 2019, 12:47 PM
Thanks Chief Tiff,

I know it sounds arrogant but I'm not worried about having the ability to pick up the skill of woodturning, i'm pretty confident when it comes to learning new things - i don't expect to become a master but I don't expect to be frustrated by it either.

I'll see if I can find a local club, but I'm not aware of any in my area. I'm not sure I'd make the time to get to one often if it's out of the way - I struggle for time as it is. I also prefer to work in my own space so not sure it's my thing. Happy to give it a go if there's a good local club though.

I understand there would be preferences that one develops, but I guess you won't know what those are until you've been doing it a while. I also expect that whatever you get used to is likely to be an ongoing preference. Hence, my logic is that if the lathe is a quality lathe that is enjoyed by experienced users I'm sure i'd like it if it's what I learn on / get used to as I wouldn't know any different in any case right?

Cheers, Dom

Optimark
21st March 2019, 03:03 PM
Hi guys,

Also, is a Laguna Revo 18-36 at around $4000- a good alternative to these lathes? Or a class below in some real way?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Dom

The Revo range of Laguna lathes are a good alternative, they have different ways of doing some things and are able to be configured to do various things slightly differently to Vicmarc lathes.

A bed extension for the Revo range, can be placed in three major positions, five actual different positions, but three that one would normally use.

The bed extension obviously extends the bed length, but it can also be used in a lower position to allow a bigger turning capacity. This lathe has a sliding headstock, versus the Vicmarc with the swinging headstock. Both versions of gaining a larger diameter of turning capacity have their good and bad points.

In Australia the Laguna bed extension is $500 (approx) with this you also get the tailstock riser and tool rest riser, meaning you are then able to turn larger stuff.

One can also place the bed extension on the front of the bed at right angles. This enables you to turn the front and rear of a piece (Platter or bowl or similar) without needing to remove it from a chuck.

With the Vicmarc lathe, if you swing the head, you can do some bigger stuff, but only if you swing it 90 degrees to the bed can you get the biggest diameter possible. You will then require the Vicmarc swing kit, or whatever they call it. It is quite good but quite expensive.

The Laguna lathe also has a wheel kit, which makes moving a 338Kg lathe a breeze. Great for storing in a tight corner then pulling it out to turn, or even pushing it outside so you can paint the floor. :D

Mick.

Optimark
21st March 2019, 03:06 PM
Forgot to mention that with a bed extension on, you can turn approximately 1300mm between centres on the Laguna.

Mick.

DomAU
21st March 2019, 04:03 PM
Thanks Mick,

So it sounds like you own a Revo? No issues or regrets by the sounds of it and presumably you are very happy with the lathe?

Is the Laguna likely to have comparable durability in terms of bearings and any other moving / wear parts? Do Vicmarc use more/bigger/better quality bearings or are the two comparable in this regard? I've heard some lathes use 3 bearings vs 2 on others and from what I can see in the Laguna manual it uses 2 sealed bearings - does this even really matter unless you are swinging huge out of balance timber a lot? Are the Steel Ways an advantage over Cast Iron? Is the paint quality and general fit and finish on the Laguna comparable to the Vicmarc lathes?

It looks like the Laguna uses a standard Delta VFD and motor so I guess replacement for these parts shouldn't be an issue in the future if required (I assume many VFD's and Motors could be used without any issues).

The Laguna certainly seems like a substantial unit, has a wider speed range, has some cool features and at least in photo's appears to have a high quality fit / finish.

Sorry for all the questions guys. So anyone used any two of the three of these lathes (or all three) or have an opinion on the pro's / cons?

Cheers,

Dom

turnerted
21st March 2019, 05:09 PM
Dom
I have owned a VL240 for about three years and am very happy with it .The only minor quibble I have with it, is occasionally the LED speed readout stops working and I have to unscrew the mounting panel and blow the dust out , about 10 minutes work .
I don't do much long spindle work so the shorter length doesn't worry me .It's easy to remove, and more importantly, replace the tailstock when deep hollowing if necessary .
Being able to rotate the head is great for bowl work .
I have turned a 600mm table top with the head turned at about 45 degrees, and running the lathe in reverse, enables the standard toolrest and banjo to be used .
Ted

Optimark
21st March 2019, 07:06 PM
Dom
I have owned a VL240 for about three years and am very happy with it.

I have turned a 600mm table top with the head turned at about 45 degrees, and running the lathe in reverse, enables the standard toolrest and banjo to be used .
Ted

The Vicmarc lathes certainly have the edge for reverse turning. The spindle has a dedicated trough (my description) that is matched by the dedicated trough at the back of the chuck, either with or without a thread insert. This is coupled, literally, with a Vicmarc clamp that enables one to reverse turn without fear of your stuff unwinding off of the sprindle thread.

Yes I do have a revo lathe, not the 18-36 but the larger 24-36, but as far as the bed extension accessory and all other accessories, they are completely interchangeable. I pretty much think I could not ask for a better all round lathe; all things considered.

Vicmarc run a 30mm tool post, they are very, very rigid. Most other reasonable sized lathes run either a 25.4mm tool post (1") or 25mm. Pretty much the standard is 25.4mm with the Vicmarc being the odd one out.

I've used and still regularly use Vicmarc lathes, VLSH175 (Longbed Swivel Head) units at my club, they really are tremendous lathes and built like a brick outhouse.

I have very lightly fiddled with and used a Revo Laguna 18-36 lathe, quite comparable performance wise with other similar sized units. If you find any Vicmarc lathe, take its model number and multiply by 2, this give you the turning diameter capability over the bed in millimetres. For example a Vicmarc 200 can turn a 400mm bowl. A Vicmarc 175 can turn 350mm, and so on. The Vicmarc 240 is capable of 480mm, which is getting there.

The Revo 18-36 is very comparable with a Vicmarc 240, it can turn 457mm over the bed, so a Vicmarc 240 is better if you are after maximum platter size in bog standard configuration. The Vicmarc 240 can, as mentioned, turn in reverse a very large platter/bowl with the head at 45 degrees and in reverse with the spindle clamp fitted. Almost no extra cost required. By purchasing the bed extension, the Revo 18-36 can turn about 800mm.

My personal turning style works best with higher spindle to bed distance. I like having the tool handle facing upwards at a steep angle, the Vicmarc 175 is not that great for my turning style, but I do like using them. I came quite close to purchasing a Vicmarc 240 second hand, but it was withdrawn from sale at the last moment. I then looked elsewhere and after around one year of looking and educating myself, I went the Revo Laguna lathe route.

Eventually I went for the 24-36 unit and am very glad I did, it suits me perfectly. Issues, yep there have been some issues, but they were rectified almost immediately by the local state seller, wonderful to deal with. Essentially, what you are purchasing is a bed, head, tail and other stuff, this is what makes or breaks a lathe, or pretty much any other machine. Bearings, motors and associated stuff can be replaced, repaired or modified; your basic lathe shape can't really be modified.

As for two bearing head compared to three bearing head, a quality bearing set for my 24-36 is probably around $35, maybe up to $45. I'm not losing any sleep over head bearings. The biggest thing I've had on mine was approximately 700mm long (with slight rounded corners and around 600mm width, It was wet and easily weighed around 55Kg give or take. The lathe knew it was there, but it wasn't an issue. The 18-36 would probably find that a bit harder to do, but I think it wouldn't be too much.

I turned it into a round shape and it is currently awaiting to be cored when I get back home. Next week I'll be calling into Woodcut tools in New Zealand to pick up a Bowlsaver Max3 and will be bringing it back home with me.

If you wish to see and try a Revo lathe, pm me and we'll talk turkey.

Mick.

Pat
21st March 2019, 08:20 PM
You could always buy a locally produced lathe - Omega Stubby, made in Carrum Downs, with the castings done in Dandenong at last conversation.