PDA

View Full Version : From the DVR3000

Toasty
20th October 2005, 01:51 PM
After a couple of years taking a break from woodturning - which was more due to my frustration with my equipment than any desire to no longer turn - my wife convinced me I should start again and gave the go ahead for a new lathe purchase. I had a budget in mind that got toally blown out when I bought a new DVR3000 and SuperNova2 chuck, but hey, figured if this is going to be the one for a looong time then I best do the right thing to begin with.

After throwing odd bits of scrap at it I decided it was time to do something for real and what follows is the result. I'm really out of practice but I am happy with my first new baby steps on my new toy.

These first pictures are Figured Myrtle, the bowl is roughly 7" accross. The wood was still a bit wet so it wasn't too hard to work. Unfortunatly I am expecting this piece to crack in no time, but I just had to do something with a nice piece of wood and it was thrown in free with the lathe.

These next images are of Camphor Laurel and I just love the grain patterns you can get from this wood. As some of you know Camphor Laurel is considered a noxious weed in some parts of Australia and you can get some really big blanks. I also love the smell of it. This bowl would be around 10" across and is my first hollow form. The lip on the top is WAY too big, but I went a little too thin on the bottom and am afraid to re-chuck it lest the pressure cracks it. Speaking of hollowing I just love the power of my DVR as this sort of work would have had my old lathe overheating within minutes. The DVR just kept going like a trooper and I think it asked me at some point if I had anything hard for it to do...

I know on both pieces I could have spent a little more time just to fix up the rough parts with them, but I blame my lack of patience for that.

Thanks for looking.

dai sensei
23rd October 2005, 10:17 AM
Nice one Toasty