PDA

View Full Version : Pyrography and wood turned bowl

Willy Nelson
15th April 2019, 12:19 AM
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen
Despite doing a ton of turning in the last four months, I have failed to record any images of work done.
This Timber is new to me, a departure from my usual mundane Timbers of Jarrah and Jarrah burl.
The tree blew down four ago and I was offered as much as I could take, which was about a ton. The timber is very dense, but turns fantastically and takes a good finish. Dimensions approx 440mm x 160mm high. My daughter does the pyrography, and between us, we decided that a series of dots along the prominent growth lines would look pleasing to eye. There as meant to be dots around the rim, but alas, I was over ruled. We did one a while ago and looked superb, in our opinion. It looked like a tennis ball and sold immediately.

The finish is Danish oil
Thanks for looking, comments welcome
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Nubsnstubs
15th April 2019, 02:01 AM
I like it, Willy. Don't you just hate it when you get over ruled by the offspring? It did turn out well and I think having the rim darkened would have taken away from the lines on the growth rings. It looks better without the rim treatment. ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Richard Hodsdon
15th April 2019, 02:38 AM
Do you know the name species of the tree?
Nice work

Willy Nelson
16th April 2019, 12:41 AM
Do you know the name species of the tree?
Nice work

Hello Richard
How about this?

Spotted gum http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/styles/factsheet_thumbnail/public/plantations/species/corymbia_maculata-01-large.gif?itok=K5HpXDUp (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/plantations/species/corymbia_maculata-01-large.gif)

http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/styles/factsheet_thumbnail/public/plantations/species/corymbia_maculata-02-large.gif?itok=dAiZOiiI (http://www.fpc.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/plantations/species/corymbia_maculata-02-large.gif)

Corymbia maculata

Spotted gum is a species that grows well on favourable sites, usually attaining 35-45 m in height and 1-1.3 m diameter at breast height (dbh), with exceptionally large trees reaching 70 m and exceeding 3 m dbh. On poorer sites it may be 20-35 m in height and 0.7-1.2 m diameter. This species naturally occurs in open-forest to tall open-forest formation on the east coast of Australia from the Victoria-New South Wales border to the Maryborough District in Queensland. Trial plantings have been established in the south-west of Western Australia for pole timber.

Wood description:
Heartwood is light brown to dark brown, and sapwood is pale and up to 8 cm wide. The texture is moderately coarse, with an interlocked grain, and the frequent presence of wavy grain produces an attractive ' fiddleback' grain. The wood is slightly greasy and gum veins are common.

Wood density:
Green density is about 1150 kg/m3, the air-dry density about 970 kg/m3, and basic density about 790 kg/m3.

Drying and shrinkage:
Tangential and radial shrinkage before reconditioning are 6.1 and 4.3 per cent respectively, and after reconditioning 5.0 and 3.7 per cent respectively.

Workability:
The timber is not difficult to work. Unseasoned wood is somewhat corrosive to aluminium nails and screws, and the high extractives content can be a problem when gluing phenolic-type adhesives. For good bonding a pressure of about 1000 kPa and temperatures above 200 C are usually needed. A low moisture content, preferably between 8 and 10 per cent, is also desirable.

Durability:
Durability Class based on the 1996 CSIRO assessment is 2 for decay, and 2 for decay + termites combined. Sapwood is Lyctus-susceptible.

Strength group and properties:

Green and dry strength groups are S2 and SD2 respectively. The more important strength properties are given in the table below.

Property
Units
Green
Dry

Modulus of Rupture
MPa

Modulus of Elasticity
MPa

Max Crushing Strength
MPa

Hardness
KN

Availability:
The timber is not readily available in Western Australia, although common in New South Wales and southern Queensland.

Uses:

The uses are as heavy engineering construction and mining timbers, where shock resistance is important, house framing, flooring, tool handles, piles and poles, shipbuilding, agricultural machinery and
plywood.

Chief Tiff
16th April 2019, 08:53 AM
Very nice collaboration there and I have to agree with the young lady that “less is more”; although I assume the dots are also shown on the outside of the bowl?

Willy Nelson
17th April 2019, 08:14 AM
Very nice collaboration there and I have to agree with the young lady that “less is more”; although I assume the dots are also shown on the outside of the bowl?

Hello Mate
Yes, your assumption is correct, they follow the same growth rings.
Sincerely
Willy

Willy Nelson
17th April 2019, 08:15 AM

Hello Mate
Yes, your assumption is correct, they follow the same growth rings.
Sincerely
Willy