PDA

View Full Version : Wood lathe review

Deysel
27th April 2019, 06:15 PM
Is there anybody who can give me a review of the Jet JWL 1221 VS lathe? And how does this lathe compare to the Nova DVR?

Optimark
28th April 2019, 02:10 PM
Sounds like you are thinking of doing wood turning and wondering what to get and how much you should dive in with your first lathe.

If you can give us an idea of what your experience with wood lathes is and/or what you wish to turn, then perhaps we could give better information.

In essence, the Jet lathe is an excellent unit, but it is a smaller lathe in what it can turn over the bed. The largest size of a bowl it can do is around 300mm in diameter. If you wish to do stool and/or table legs, then you will need to purchase a bed extension which will enable you to turn around 1000mm of timber.

The Nova DVR is really different than almost any other lathe and is by comparison, much more expensive. It is an extremely versatile lathe as it can turn a 400mm bowl over the bed and if you swing the head to the front you can increase that to around 750mm. I once did a 600mm platter on my Nova lathe, which was not the DVR unit you are looking at, but similar in its turning size possibilities. It also has a longer bed enabling you to just turn stool and table legs as it comes straight from the factory without the need for a bed extension.

If you think of automobiles, then the Jet could be considered a high end version of a Toyota Corolla while the Nova DVR, could be considered as a mid to high end Mercedes.

Mick.

Deysel
29th April 2019, 06:22 AM
Hi Mick,
You've helped a lot. I'm fairly experienced in woodturning and I actually had a Nova 1624-44 which I lost when my house burned down. I want to buy something new and saw the Jet on the internet but I've never seen it working

coffenup
29th April 2019, 05:16 PM
Carbatec have demo days they might have one near you with the demo. If it's what you want offer to buy the one they are using you should get it cheaper

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Optimark
29th April 2019, 05:23 PM
Not a problem. My last lathe was the Nova 1624-44 it was a great lathe and taught me a lot about what I wished for in my next lathe.

Depending upon what you wish to do, or which direction your tuning may go, then either something like a modernised version of the 1624-44 in the Nova DVR would be the go. They come with cast iron legs and are much heavier than the 1624-44 with its bolt on individual legs.

I haven't turned on one of the Nova DVR units, but I have watched a couple of people using them in a production turner environment where the pre-set speed system can be very useful. I was seriously looking at purchasing one around 2 years ago, then I discovered the Revo Laguna 18-36.

In this country, the Nova DVR lathe is currently $4,200 AUD while the Revo Laguna 18-36 is $3,980 AUD.

Technically, the Nova DVR is pretty much at the top of the technology pile, while the Laguna is right up there with design and ease of use for various types of turning techniques you may wish to consider down the track. Both are the same power with the Laguna lathe using a single phase input and three phase output for incredibly smooth delivery.

I didn't purchase the 18-36 instead I bought the larger sibling the 24-36, the smile is till on my face. :D

Mick.

bowl-basher
2nd May 2019, 11:58 AM
If you are considering the Nova have a look at the new Nova Galaxi having used both this and the older Nova lathes there is no comparison
Carbatec sydney have both on show
Bowl Basher

aldav
2nd May 2019, 06:50 PM
Guys, good advice here, but some of you have not noted that the OP is in South Africa! Don't think he'll be going in to his nearest Carbatec anytime soon. :no:

derekcohen
2nd May 2019, 09:27 PM
Is there anybody who can give me a review of the Jet JWL 1221 VS lathe? And how does this lathe compare to the Nova DVR?

Hi Deysel

As others have intimated, the Nova is in a different class to the Jet. But they are also in different price brackets here. The Jet 1221 VS here is $1350, while the cheapest Nova DVR (the Saturn, without stand or bed extension) is $3000. The Jet is 1 hp and VS still requires belt change. The Nova is 2 hp and no belts involved. The electronics of the Nova Saturn are in another class altogether.

I moved up from the original Jet mini to the Nova Saturn (with bed extension and stand). It is a formidable lathe. A forum friend (Hi Ro bb o!), who is an ex-pro turner, gave the Saturn a strong recommendation. If you can run to this one, get it.

Regards from Perth

Derek