PDA

View Full Version : lathe drive belt

turnerted
9th May 2019, 03:00 PM
G'day
I am trying to source a drive belt for a Woodfast model 280 . This is a fairly old club lathe, possably Australian made, that died on me when I was demonstrating a couple of months ago .Woodfast tell me they only stock spares for current lathes and my emails to several belt suppliers have been unsuccesfull . The belt is a flat groved type similar to current Woodfast small lathes but shorter being only about 330mm circumference . One of our club members claims it is possible to CA glue belts together . So one possibility would be to buy a longer belt , cut it down , and rejoin it , but I am sceptical of this working .
It seems a shame to scrap a lathe for want of a belt .
Any suggestions?
Ted

BobL
9th May 2019, 03:25 PM
Try Rydell Beltech Industries. https://www.ammeraalbeltech.com/en-AU/contact/?country=54418
When I upgraded the motor on my small Woodfast the motor no longer fit in the same location so I had to mount it under the bench and use a longer belt.
I took the old belt out to Rydell and they made me a belt with the same V-ribbed profile to the required length.
There's nothing available on line you have to go there to get them to make it.

mick661
9th May 2019, 09:03 PM
Rydell do have a belt for the 280 but it's a fraction big.
I got one last year. I also got the correct one from woodfast I think.
Cheers Mick
AWTEX

turnerted
9th May 2019, 10:42 PM
Mick
Was the one you got from Rydell useable though ?
Ted

mick661
9th May 2019, 10:54 PM
Sort of I had to crank up the speed and take fine cuts.
Cheers mick

BobL
10th May 2019, 12:31 AM
Here are the J-section belt lengths available from Rydell.
The belt stock itself comes in standard widths but they also have long tube of each belt size and they cut off how ever many ribs your belt requires.
Mine ended up being a 220J

Peter Z
10th May 2019, 06:04 AM
Try one of the bearing stores, it worked for with my bandsaw.

turnerted
10th May 2019, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the replies . Looks like I am going to have to take the drive unit to Rydell and see what they can come up with .
Ted

Richard Hodsdon
12th May 2019, 12:55 AM
Have a look at a site with Metric and Imperial belts. My Nova 16/44 has a 230J belt which is not listed on the Rydell list but is easily available here in South Africa as the 584J poly Vee belt and at 1/6th of the price from the agent . I got mine from the Bearing/Belt suppliers.
Rydell list a 220J and a 240J but not the inbetween size which is Nova standard. And the 584J is not a eastern copy it was made in the UK

Richard

Paul39
12th May 2019, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the replies . Looks like I am going to have to take the drive unit to Rydell and see what they can come up with .
Ted

If you have the broken belt, that should suffice.

arose62
12th May 2019, 12:22 PM
I had a problem sourcing a drive belt for a bandsaw, and finally had a good experience with naismith.com.au

Thread here: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/bas-350b-drive-belt-225035

turnerted
12th May 2019, 04:48 PM
Paul
The drive belt is shredded so not much use to show anyone . Fortunately the entire drive unit is easily removed from the lathe .I'm off to visit Rydell tomorrow .
Ted

Paul39
13th May 2019, 12:36 PM
Paul
The drive belt is shredded so not much use to show anyone . Fortunately the entire drive unit is easily removed from the lathe .I'm off to visit Rydell tomorrow .
Ted

Good, mine are not so easy.

cappie
8th April 2020, 10:39 PM
Paul
Ted

I have to replace the belt on my 280. It melted to the unit when not used for a couple of years. How did you go with the replacement belt?

turnerted
8th April 2020, 10:57 PM
Yes . They are available from a South Australian company . I think it was Woodworking Solutions .
Ted

Bauldy
8th April 2020, 11:19 PM
Woodworking Solutions are the same people who ran the old Woodfast business before they closed. Located in the same shop.

Regards

Bauldy

cappie
8th April 2020, 11:26 PM
Thank you so much, both of you. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

arose62
9th April 2020, 09:15 AM
Is the Woodfast 280 very similar to the Jet 1410?
I had dramas sourcing a belt for a bandsaw, and during that exercise found that the same belt fitted my Jet mini lathe.
I'm sure I bought a spare, so if you can't get one, and if I can find my spare �� I'm not that far from Jilliby.

Here's where I tucked away the info:
BAS-350B drive belt (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/bas-350b-drive-belt-225035)