PDA

View Full Version : Woops!!!!!

Pat
22nd October 2005, 09:21 PM
Today, I thought that I would get rid of one of "those" jobs - extending the flower bed at the front of the house. Knowing that the gas and water pipes are near by . . .

I cleaned out the old bed and then gingerly with the mattock started extending the bed then . . . clunk . . . phissss . . . Oh no the blessed water pipe! (Un)Luckily I just disturbed the soft solder of the join ( I think) as there is no visible holes in the copper pipe. Of course this join is 1/2' from the house making further access interesting.

So I turned the water off, opened a couple of taps and waited for it to dry abit and thought that normal sealent, with an hour's drying time, would work. Wrong agin!

A quick trip to mitre10 for nought, then to Bunnies for the pipe clamps/Rubber hose and Plaskem Green Solvent Cement. I will try this tommorrow morn, after turning the water off later tonight to give it a chance to dry out.

Any other suggestions good/bad or otherwise? I already have a phone number of a mate's plumber if this fails :o

Another good deed ruined by my incompetence!

echnidna
22nd October 2005, 09:56 PM
solder the leaky bit
(don't use lead/tin solder)

doug1
22nd October 2005, 10:05 PM
Why would you not use lead solder please?

Thanks

Doug

echnidna
22nd October 2005, 10:38 PM
you don't want to contaminate the drinking water supply with lead as it may cause lead poisoning

JDarvall
22nd October 2005, 10:40 PM
Mapp gase ? ...... I'd just heat up that joint again. See if it settles closed again.

probably won't though....probably best to re-do the weld.

So, I'd, heat the joint up so you can pull it apart, clean joint with steel wool, brush flux on the pipe at joint, bring it together, heat the mating piece, not the pipe, when the flux bubbles push silver solder into joint and it should flow around quite quickly.

Map gass - a torch that cost about $40 don't it ? ..... Handy for soft welding .... will be able to use again when you hit that pipe again, ya cluts....:D . joking, I've done stuff like that before too.

Goodluck

Pat
23rd October 2005, 06:44 AM
Thanks boys, I am just trying to avoid the solder at the moment . . . me & flames do not mix! :)

barnsey
23rd October 2005, 10:20 AM
What a p155 poor effort - last time I did that I stuck the pick right through it!! :o

Went to Bunnies and got a compression joiner, fitted it - no flames or heat required. Voila :p

Now there is a rather large rock as an ornamental feature in the garden :D :D

Barry_White
23rd October 2005, 10:38 AM
you don't want to contaminate the drinking water supply with lead as it may cause lead poisoning

Although I know there has been a move away from soldered water tanks but country people have been drinking out of soldered water tanks for a 100 years. As well all my water pipes are soldered with lead solder with no adverse health aspects.

I think there is more danger from dust created by lead from fuels and more danger from drinking water with flouride in it than picking up lead from the solder.

What about all the the asbestos water pipes that where used in the years before they found the dangers of asbestos.

There is more danger in getting into a car accident and dying from your injuries than lead in pipes causing a problem.

Anyway you have to go some way.

Pat
23rd October 2005, 02:11 PM
Barnsey, what's the drill with the compression joiner? Price? Ease of use? Etc

Remember I am a plumbing bunny, with a target on the forehead! :D

mkemila
23rd October 2005, 02:20 PM
There are several leak sealing spray products out there that are recommended for plumbing leaks

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/70967-Rescue-911-Instant-Leak-Sealer.html

http://www.questchemicalcorp.com/newprod.htm

I am not sure what is available in Australia, but there must be something similar

barnsey
24th October 2005, 09:32 AM
Barnsey, what's the drill with the compression joiner? Price? Ease of use? Etc

Remember I am a plumbing bunny, with a target on the forehead! :D

All of the above. It will allow for the cut in the pipe and give you a long lasting repair. Cut through mother-in-law's pipe with the jig saw when renovating her bathroom and got out of jail the same way :D :D

They are no big deal to use, follow the instructions on the pack, need a spanner /shifter and maybe some multigrips or some stilsons(optional but plumbing speak)

I'm not a big fan of joint sealers that try to fix what was F%^&#d up in the first place. :rolleyes:

And remember that any work done on a water supply must be done by a licensed plumber - just so you know what to ask for :eek: ;) ;)

Good Luck

Jamie

bennylaird
24th October 2005, 11:28 AM
I'd find a Mate who knows a plumber, invite them both round, have a slab ready and Bob's your uncle? Job fixed and you have a contact for your next attempt at raising the ground water level.