PDA

View Full Version : Mother of a Faceplate Lathe

rodm
23rd October 2005, 11:55 PM
Nudge Nudge Wink Wink Say No More :D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wood-Turning-Face-Plate-Lathe_W0QQitemZ7556692179QQcategoryZ105827QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cliff Rogers
24th October 2005, 07:54 PM
I've got one just like that 'cept the big pulleys are wooden & I think mine has a bigger swing. :D

Mine's rusty with a stainless steel shaft & a blue 2Hp motor.... looks like something out of Mad Max 'Return to Thunderdome' :cool:

rodm
24th October 2005, 09:29 PM
It looks like it has a triple "v" belt to the first reduction and then the quick change is a leather belt. I have seen a few photos of line shafts operating on leather belts so they must provide good grip.

Dad used to have a bench grinder with a leather belt operating from a motor mounted in the roof of the garage. For fun as a kid I used to turn it on then grab the belt to stop it. You had to grab it tight and avoid the joint or it would run your hand down to the pulley and that used to hurt. Stupid things you do as a kid. :o

Cliff when you get a chance I would love to see a photo of your lathe.

Cliff Rogers
24th October 2005, 10:13 PM
.....Cliff when you get a chance I would love to see a photo of your lathe.

I'll work on that.... ;)
I have to drag some stuff out of the shed (the one with the monster in it) over the next week to pack up to go to the Proserpine 2005 Turnout http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/ (bit excited about that:D )

Once I have some of the junk out of the way I'll take a pic.

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2005, 10:56 PM
OK, I got those photos, at last.
For size ref, the can of RP7 is one of those tall ones & the motor is 2hp.
The pedistal is 14" diam pressure pipe.
The bed is truck chassis.
The piece of steel leaning agaisnt it is the bed for the tool rest & it goes on a large wooden stand that has been romoved from the shed for the pic.
The swing is 4' if I remove the 8" wooden floor that is in front of the lathe so I can reach it.

rodm
11th November 2005, 01:38 AM
Very impressive Cliff. Looks like a flywheel and wooden pulleys and lots of reduction in the drives. Does it bounce around much when you first mount a blank?

Cliff Rogers
11th November 2005, 09:48 AM
It's bolted to the concrete floor with 4 BIG bolts.... the shed shakes a bit sometimes. :rolleyes:

Termite
11th November 2005, 09:58 AM
If you get a dig in on one of these you can be assured of at least 3 cartwheels across the workshop. You, that is.:D

JackoH
11th November 2005, 04:36 PM
Wanna see a real 'Big Lathe'. Follow the 'Links" on the home page of this site and click on "'s Big Job"

RETIRED
11th November 2005, 06:02 PM
HMMM, wonder what we would end up with if they mated Cliff? Pretty scary I think.

Cliff Rogers
12th November 2005, 03:30 PM
We could turn wooden water towersl. :D

RETIRED
12th November 2005, 03:54 PM
:d

RETIRED
12th November 2005, 03:55 PM
Yep:D

soundman
13th November 2005, 10:43 PM
There was a bloke up in NQ in one of the mags a few years ago with this huge made for the job face plate lathe.
Picture showed him in front of the spinning blank.
tool rest length of 2 x4 hardwood.
The project was a cieling rose.
very impressive.
cheers

Ed Reiss
28th August 2008, 11:59 AM
OK, I got those photos, at last.
For size ref, the can of RP7 is one of those tall ones & the motor is 2hp.
The pedistal is 14" diam pressure pipe.
The bed is truck chassis.
The piece of steel leaning agaisnt it is the bed for the tool rest & it goes on a large wooden stand that has been romoved from the shed for the pic.
The swing is 4' if I remove the 8" wooden floor that is in front of the lathe so I can reach it.

Now that is one hell of a rig, Cliff:cool:
Thanks for sharing.
Ed :D

Cliff Rogers
28th August 2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks Ed, it is going to get a clean up when I take it apart to move it soon.

I'll take some more detailed pics of it in pieces.