PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Adams

rick_rine
26th October 2005, 10:57 PM
Didn't know there was a fifth book in this "trilogy" . Seems to have had mixed reviews . Anyone read " Mostly Harmless " ?
Rick

Wood Butcher
26th October 2005, 11:18 PM
Didn't know there was a fifth book in this "trilogy" . Seems to have had mixed reviews . Anyone read " Mostly Harmless " ?
Rick

One of the sales pitches when the book was released was that it was "book 5 in the trilogy of 4".

I never read the whole book but the first bit I read was as good as the other books.

Grunt
26th October 2005, 11:27 PM
If you read the first four you should read the last one.

I liked it.

himzol
27th October 2005, 07:30 AM
Yes I've read it, bit silly but "mostly harmless" :rolleyes: :D

Redback
27th October 2005, 11:59 AM
Much as I would hate to put down this great man....I have to say, the last 2 books, and in particularly the last, seemed more a result of pressure from fans. In the end, it was his way of saying, Im tired of this story, give it a rest.

My advice would be to only read the first 3....

doug the slug
27th October 2005, 06:03 PM
i think Redback has hit it on the head, really. i read the last two and enjoyed them, but while they were a good read, they did lack the excellence of the first 3http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

Harry72
27th October 2005, 08:03 PM
Nope never read that book but I do own a computer game by him "starship titanic", its a good mystery adventure puzzle solving type game, no action or killing kinda thing just pure using yer noggin. You realy need to wear yer thinkin cap(and foilie over top of that)with this one, unsure if it was originaly from one of his books? has the HHTTG taste in it...

Zed
27th October 2005, 08:35 PM
its good, arthur the sandwhich maker. closes the thread so to speak...

bitingmidge
28th October 2005, 05:28 PM
Read it.

Smacks of "had to do it" but still a good yarn.

In any case, there are now SIX books in the trilogy: The Salmon of Doubt, published a year or two ago, obviously posthumously, by Douggie's editor who pieced together the next book, which one gathers was to be a coming together of the guide and Dirk Gently.

The book is a bit of a scrapbook containing newspaper articles and other bits. bit is still worth having on the shelf.

If you haven't read the Dirk Gently books (both of them) you must also do that before you die.

Cheers,

P
:D

biotechy2k
1st November 2005, 10:01 PM
Rick

Douglas Adams Fans should appreciate this

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/asdfhjkl (http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/asdfhjkl)

TritonJapan
5th November 2005, 09:43 AM
I read this book, unlike the others, I can't remember much about it.

The Dirk Gently books were very good, warm and fuzzy, the same way that bricks aren't.

Steve

P.S. That being said, I do recall having a good laugh at it.

Jon
7th November 2005, 01:39 PM
I agree that the trilogy did taper off by the fifth book but seeing they started at Brilliant, Mostly Harmless is still Great.
The Salmon of Doubt is definitly worth a read.
Dirk Gently is good if you are a fan.....
I have also read a Non Fiction book by him "Last Chance To See". His adventures travelling around the world to see extremly endanged specis. A very Michael Palin-esc type book. I liked it.
Now I am not Douglas Adams nerd or anything but typing this has reminded me that he also wrote one of the early Dr Who episodes.

On a final note, I have a tendancy for taking rain to most significant events that I attend, so I totally empathise with the "Rain God" (from maybe book 3, I think it is the same book that he meets Fenchurch). I am so accomplished I descibe myself as one. Out did myself at our engagement and had a 40 degree day punctuated by hail, trees down, blackout etc. and back to 40 degree and now very humid. I restrained myself for the wedding though, couldn't top the engagement.