PDA

View Full Version : French Door Locks

Fordy
27th October 2005, 03:09 PM
Was wondering if anyone knows what type of door hardware to use with rebated french doors??
And where they are avaliable

Thanks

Driver
27th October 2005, 05:03 PM
Are they internal or external?

If they're internal, have a look at the attached photos. I've just installed a pair of french doors and used Gainsborough passage sets.

You'll need to buy a rebate kit, too. This contains a latch box (the brass box showing in the first photo) and a rebate keeper that fits into a mortice you cut into the keeper door (second photo).

You can buy all the hardware from Bunnings. You might have to hunt around a bit on their shelves for the rebate set (took me a little while to find them!).

Hope this helps.

Fordy
27th October 2005, 05:38 PM
They are external actually but from your pics I can see what I need now..

Thanks

seriph1
27th October 2005, 06:52 PM
I use: deadlock (the one with teeth, not snib) Large upper and lower bolts (lockabe if that's your preference) and for general closing, a lockable (basic backdoor key type) latch set.

have fun!

silkwood
4th November 2005, 11:30 PM
What you use may depend on the place the french doors are located. On a main escape route (i.e where you would run to if there was a fire) it is advisable to have a quick-release mechanism, such as an entrance set (with a "snib" or button lock). For convenienc you may also want to use this as a passage set (most will). Lastly you may want the security of a deadlock. This is typical of the requirement for an entry door or rear door (e.g. laundry).

Some units include all three (Gainborough Trilock, Lockwood Nexion) and are very popular, come in a range of styles, but generally cost more than an entry set and a deadlock. The Nexion has an electronic system using a remote. This is an excellent lockset but at $400 is pricey.

Almost all variations of the above have rebate kits to suit. You will probably want a dummy handle on the "fixed" door. As for top and bottom bolts on the "fixed side, you can get barrel bolts or "panic" bolts with or without concealed fixing. You will probably want a short bolt at the top and a longer one at the bottom. For security you may want to go with locking units, but they tend to be a bit bulky and aesthetically challenged. A more secure option is flush bolts, which fit on the inside edge of the door, making them innaccesible when the door is deadlocked. Trouble is they are difficult to fit and weaken the door edge if the door is rebated.

Hope this helps and is not too late. :)

Cheers,

Fordy
5th November 2005, 12:31 AM
Not too late at all..

Cant get what we need in town so we are still searching for the right lock..

We have two sets of french doors that need lock but we also want to make them look good so deadlocks are not an option.

We are hoping for something brass and maybe the flush bolts will suit too as the other type of bolts are bulky and unsightly..

Am travelling to Perth at the end of the month so hopefully will grab something whilst there

Thanks for the reply

seriph1
31st January 2006, 07:15 PM
you can fix one side with some nice bolts and then use a key-only deadbolt plus a decorative and locakble handle set. It really depends on your taste ands the style of the home. All are available in brass finish. here are some links to have a look at

http://www.lockweb.com.au/products/?productFlag=0&level=5&categoryID=500

http://www.lockweb.com.au/products/product.asp?id=133&categoryID=236

http://www.lockweb.com.au/products/product.asp?id=141&categoryID=487

gyro
21st February 2006, 07:19 PM
If the doors are external then check your insurance policy, mine had to be deadlocks. Which was not easy as the doors were too thin so new doors for me unfortunately.

Fordy
22nd February 2006, 01:29 AM
I havent done that yet but I am sure the insurance company will be fine with the flush bolts up top, keyed handle locks and keyed patio bolts in both bottom doors..
My family is security is my main concern

But I will contact them tomorrow to make sure

thanks

seriph1
22nd February 2006, 08:58 AM
Keyed patio bolts are usually acceptable, though the primary door will still need to have a deadlock I believe

Cliff Rogers
22nd February 2006, 10:26 AM
these are the ones I was going for but I'm not sure if they will work in French doors.

http://www.gainsboroughhardware.com.au/Product%20Range/Residential%20range/Mortice%20Locks/residential%20range_mortice%20locks.htm

Fordy
22nd February 2006, 08:58 PM
They will be fine cliff as long as you get the right type. If the doors are rebated then they should come as rebated locks too. I got mine from subiaco restorations..

forge
22nd February 2006, 11:32 PM
Was wondering if anyone knows what type of door hardware to use with rebated french doors??
And where they are avaliable

Thanks
Try delf brass ,i ordered some mortice locks and snib /lock trough mitre 10,very reasonably priced :)
http://www.delfbrass.com.au/index.htm
Regards ,Bela