PDA

View Full Version : Thread Cutting Jig

reeves
31st October 2005, 02:35 PM
Hi, does anyone know where to get a thread cutting jig similar to the one used in the Raffan DVD's.It attaches to the lathe i believe usinga normal chuck and the cutting sits in the actual lathe head MT...

has anyone used one..?

thanks
john

Ashore
31st October 2005, 02:46 PM
Sounds like the one talked about in this thread http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=17526&highlight=thread+cutting

Hope its some help

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashore

reeves
31st October 2005, 05:14 PM
thanks ashore thats good

AJcairns
1st November 2005, 09:07 PM
Reeves
I have the cutter i think you a chasing got mine from sth qld woodworking supplies.
also couple of things with it some timbers just will not thread they tear out and speed is also a factor have posted photo of cutter and lidded bowl and nut and bolt i have done if you need anymore info just email me

thanks Aj

hcbph
2nd November 2005, 04:33 AM
Is this what you're looking for? http://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.htm

reeves
21st November 2005, 11:34 AM
AJ carins, hey nice threads mate...ye sthats the bizzo...
how do u use it on the lathe ?

as in how it it held and turned against..?

what kind sof woods have u found usesful or hold up well..i imagiine the harder types...

HCBPH...thanks but thats a 'normal' thread cutter, not a lathe based one...

cheeeeeeers

AJcairns
21st November 2005, 09:39 PM
Reeves
the cutter is held in normal drill chuck in headstock and chuck is held in other end with normal chuck that you have turned the piece with you then attach to crosslide vice (sorry dont have photo will take tommorrow) all parts i got from sth qld woodworking supplies he also has book which tells all.

found pine is a pain and will not take any form of thread unless it tears if I can find pieces i have tried will take photo to what i mean

catch you

AJ

reeves
22nd November 2005, 08:37 AM
Reeves
the cutter is held in normal drill chuck in headstock and chuck is held in other end with normal chuck that you have turned the piece with you then attach to crosslide vice (sorry dont have photo will take tommorrow) all parts i got from sth qld woodworking supplies he also has book which tells all.

found pine is a pain and will not take any form of thread unless it tears if I can find pieces i have tried will take photo to what i mean

catch you

AJ

Thanks Aj, thats sounds pretty straightforward..more pics would help...
i know Ths Qld WS at Yatala, pretty well, drop in when i can.....will ask Dave next time i am in there...
are the peices seperate, will any cross slide vice do the trick...?

with the woods, yes pine i imagine would not work well, unless its hard...
yr small box with the thread looks like silky oak..is that it?

thanks for yr replies

john

AJcairns
26th November 2005, 06:01 PM
reeves
sorry for the delay on photos but work got in the way , have just taken some hope this helps also took photos of pine piece i cut to see how they lined up

catch u later

AJ

Termite
26th November 2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks you blokes, 61 and I've just learned something new, so it's been a real good day.
Thanks again.:D

reeves
28th November 2005, 08:56 AM
reeves
sorry for the delay on photos but work got in the way , have just taken some hope this helps also took photos of pine piece i cut to see how they lined up

catch u later

AJ

thanks for the pics AJ...interesting how the cross slide vice works with the cutter, thats the one...

cheeeeeeeeeers
mate

La truciolara
28th November 2005, 11:06 PM
This is the perfect jig, whether home made or purchased.
The thread size is equal to the one which is on the rod which pushed your box. Therefore you can realise real thin ones<O:p</O:p
The difficulty only lies in deciding where to start and stop the threading on both the box and it’s lid in order to have the veins of the wood perfectly matching between top and bottom.
On the following box, the slight difference is only due to the wood I lost in cutting the raw piece
<O:p</O:p

La truciolara
28th November 2005, 11:14 PM
I am sorry about the gigantic size of the two pictures, and especially when you think the box is only 5 cm (less than 2 inch) tall.
Could one explain me (may be in private message so as not to bother all the experts of the forum, how you post these thumbnails at the bottom of your messages. They are so convenient.
Sorry again :o